Wouldnt it be nice if karma was true?

• Thread starter icarolo
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that the waitress is trying to teach her friends about karma, but they don't seem to understand it very well.
icarolo
So the suffering of people would not be unfair but due to their having being mean before.
Actual prostitutes would have been people who went with prostitutes before and religious fanatics would have been people who liked to impose their opinion to the rest like those who burnt Giordano Bruno and silenced Galileo.
I believe this universe to be a fair place

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be nice if people actually had a rudimentary understanding of the concept of Karma?

The nazis use to believed in karma so they justified the no compassion to the suffering people.
Actually i think is the mean people who deserves compassion but I am still glad they get their punishment

If Karma were to be real could you imagine the life of an IRS worker or a parking meter person. wowzers.

mapper said:
If Karma were to be real could you imagine the life of an IRS worker or a parking meter person. wowzers.
Parking meter monitors deserve to find the penny they picked up off the ground next to the parking meter is a 1909 SVDB.

It's hard to imagine anything that would reflect the karma IRS workers deserve. I'd say they deserve to win the lottery once a week, but after winning once, any subsequent winnings are a pretty trivial reward for the service they provide to our country.

There! That should keep me free of an audit and free of parking tickets for at least this year.

BobG said:
There! That should keep me free of an audit and free of parking tickets for at least this year.
I dunno... can IRS workers read?

This isn't about Karma, but related. In a discussion of reincarnation at the bar, the waitress asked one of my friends what he'd like to come back as. He immediately answered, "The brass pole in a strip club." :biggrin:

Smurf said:
Wouldn't it be nice if people actually had a rudimentary understanding of the concept of Karma?
According to Deepak Chopra, karma is not the "you get what's coming to you" that people misunderstand it to be.

Karma is the emotional cycle of experience-memory-desire- action-experience. First, you have an experience. Then you remember the experience. The memory elicits the desire to reexperience the pleasureable parts of the experience, which causes action in the attempt to do so, which causes an experience, which causes a memory of the experience...and round and round.

Karma more or less means "habit", and pretty much all karma is bad. The goal is to look at all situations with self-awareness and a completely fresh eye.

Last edited:

What is karma?

Karma is a concept from Hinduism and Buddhism that refers to the principle of cause and effect. It suggests that the actions we take in life will have consequences, either in this life or in future lives.

Why do people believe in karma?

People may believe in karma because it provides a sense of justice and fairness in the world. It suggests that good actions will be rewarded and bad actions will be punished, which can be comforting for some individuals.

Is there any scientific evidence for karma?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the concept of karma. It is considered a spiritual or philosophical belief rather than a scientifically proven fact.

How does the concept of karma relate to scientific principles?

The concept of karma does not directly relate to scientific principles, as it is based on a belief in reincarnation and the idea that actions in this life will affect future lives. However, some scientists have explored the idea of cause and effect and how our actions can impact our own lives and the lives of others.

What are the potential implications of believing in karma?

The belief in karma can have both positive and negative implications. On one hand, it can motivate individuals to do good and be kind to others in the hopes of receiving positive karma in return. On the other hand, it can also lead to a sense of fatalism and the belief that one's fate is predetermined, which may discourage individuals from taking responsibility for their actions.