Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X shaped roof profile for small series car-production method

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    Hi all! I need to decide on the production philosophy of an SEV(small electric vehicle) as a final part of my thesis project. Up until now, I have designed the package layout and body and performed a FE analysis (topology optimization) to arrive at a reasonable body-in-white structure.

I did a topology optimization and received a x-shaped roof structure as the suggestion of BIW(body in white) build. I haven't found any series produced small vehicles with a x-shaped roof structure. The closest that comes to this shape is the VW XL1 (see below). My question is: Is it possible to produce such a roof structure with a extruded profile or a hydroformed profile? All other parts of my BIW are spaceframe manufacturable, its just the roof that i need to decide on. Thanks!

2014-volkswagen-xl1-carbon-fiber-body-parts.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    What material? Must it be metal?

The VW X appears to be made from 5 carbon fiber parts. Can you assemble the X from components? If so, a thermal press and thermoset FRP might do it.

Or are hydroforming and extrusion the only options? If so can the parts be welded?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook