Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Your body isn't as old as you think

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A thread in philosophy made me think of something I had learned years ago about cell replication and aging and how as we age we tend to get more and more "mutations".

As Alan Alda said in a Scientific American Frontiers show, it's like copying copies in a copying machine. Each time you copy a copy, the quality gets worse. So, even though the cells are new, they are not the same as the originals, we call this "aging". This was also the show on nematodes and telomeres for those of you that saw it. Here is the transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm

Anyway, I digress, I was reading about bones back then and was surprised to learn that our bones are recreated on a seven year cycle (this article says 10, whatever).

I was thinking if I was surprised to learn at just how "young" our bones are, some others may also find this interesting. It seems that we are finding out more and more every day.

Here's an article to get you started.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2

RonL

Gold Member

Thanks a bunch Evo, I feel better already:approve::biggrin:

Ron

4. Jul 3, 2008 #3

Evo

Yeah, nice to know that physically you're only 10-15 years old, eh?

5. Jul 4, 2008 #4

Borek

To some extent that's a question about dilutions - how much of what's inside of me was there - say - 10 years ago? Cells may be new, but they are built from material transported by blood. Part of this material is new, but part is recycled.

Which makes me wonder, how much of the meal my Dad had in early sixties is still insde of me...

6. Jul 9, 2008 #5
    Except for your neurons, most of these are as old as you are.

Maybe this statement was a tautology..

7. Jul 9, 2008 #6

Evo

It was an attempt at a joke, I guess it was a poor attempt. :smile: The piece I linked to talks about neurons.

8. Jul 9, 2008 #7
    and the response was meant to be ironic, I guess it was a poor attempt:smile:

9. Jul 9, 2008 #8

Evo

:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?