How can I simplify adding two sine waves using trigonometric identities?

In summary, the equation y=Asin(wt)+Bsin(wt+x) can be rewritten as y=Rsin(wt+q), where R=sqrt(C^2+d^2) and q=arctan(D/C), by applying the trig identity sin(u+v)=sinucosv+cosusinv and using the formula Csinz+Dcosz=Rsin(z+q). This can be used to solve for various values and manipulate the equation.
flexifirm
Add the following sine waves

y= Asin(wt) + Bsin(wt + x) Where w=2(pi)f and x is a phase shift

I SIMPLIFIED this for my friend using rotating vectors, then i got really annoyed realizing that I didn't know how to do it the direct way (trig identities).

So I've posted it here for all you smart folks to try

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by solved?

Ok, after consideration, is this what you want?

We may use sin(u+v)=sinucosv+cosusinv to rewrite sin(wt+x) in terms of cos(wt) and sin(wt), and then collecting terms we can rewrite the equation as Csinwt+Dcoswt for some choice of C and D. You may then blindly apply a formula whose derivation comes from :

suppose Csinz+Dcosz= Rsin(z+q), then C = Rcos(q) and D=Rsin(q) after applying that identity, from which we see R=sqrt(C^2+d^2) and tan(q) = D/C ie q=arctan(D/C)

So, you may conclude that y= Rsin(wt+q) for suitable R and q which can be derived with a little work. You can use that to do most anything you wish now.

1. What is the formula for adding two sine waves?

The formula for adding two sine waves is: y = A sin (ωx + φ) + B sin (ωx + φ), where A and B are the amplitudes, ω is the angular frequency, x is the time variable, and φ is the phase shift.

2. How do you find the resulting amplitude when adding two sine waves?

The resulting amplitude when adding two sine waves is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual amplitudes. In other words, A = √(A1² + A2²).

3. Can two sine waves with different frequencies be added together?

Yes, two sine waves with different frequencies can be added together. The resulting wave will have a frequency that is the average of the two frequencies, and the amplitude may change depending on the specific values of the frequencies and amplitudes.

4. What happens when two sine waves with the same frequency and opposite phases are added?

When two sine waves with the same frequency and opposite phases are added, they will cancel each other out and the resulting wave will have an amplitude of 0.

5. Can the phase shift of the individual sine waves affect the resulting wave?

Yes, the phase shift of the individual sine waves can affect the resulting wave. If the phase shifts are the same, the resulting wave will have a larger amplitude. If the phase shifts are different, the resulting wave may have a different shape or amplitude depending on the specific values of the phase shifts.