Group velocity of two superimposed sine waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of group velocity when applied to sine waves of different amplitudes. It is possible to express the wave as the product of an envelope and something else, with the envelope traveling at the velocity Δω/Δk. However, when the amplitudes are not the same, the group velocity is not as clear and there is ambiguity in the interpretation. The conversation also explores the idea of decomposing the wave into a carrier and a complex envelope, but it does not provide a definitive answer to the question of the group velocity in this case.
bardeen
Hi all,
I understand the concept of group velocity when applied to superimposed sine waves of the same amplitude, and even when applied to wave packets (in which case you get the well-known expression ∂ω/∂k).
My question is what happens when you add two sine waves of different amplitudes? So something like:
y(x,t) = A1Sin[k1x-ω1t]+A2Sin[k2x-ω2t]

I tried to work out whether the concept of group velocity even has a meaning here, and if so, what it would be.
If the amplitudes were the same, one can use trigonometric identities to express the wave as the product of an envelope and something else. Then, the envelope can be seen to travel at the velocity Δω/Δk. But, again, I don't know how to proceed if the amplitudes are not the same.

Any comments are very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Variation in the amplitudes is common; do a Fourier analysis of an arbitrary blob ...

bardeen said:
Hi all,
If the amplitudes were the same, one can use trigonometric identities to express the wave as the product of an envelope and something else. Then, the envelope can be seen to travel at the velocity Δω/Δk. But, again, I don't know how to proceed if the amplitudes are not the same.
Do the same manipulations with different amplitudes. What do you get that's different from the "usual" case?

olivermsun said:
Do the same manipulations with different amplitudes. What do you get that's different from the "usual" case?
You get two terms of the same form as in the usual case. So, you get something like: envelope1*(sine wave) + envelope2*(cosine wave)

Is the group velocity still delta omega/ delta k ?
That's what my instinct told me but I somehow feel it's not right...

Okay, maybe one way you can think of it is this:
y(x,t)
= A1Sin[k1x-ω1t]+A2Sin[k2x-ω2t]
= A1(Sin[k1x-ω1t]+Sin[k2x-ω2t]) +(A2-A1)Sin[k2x-ω2t],
i.e., the usual packet of two waves (with a group velocity, etc.), superposed with a plane wave (no group velocity).

olivermsun said:
Okay, maybe one way you can think of it is this:
y(x,t)
= A1Sin[k1x-ω1t]+A2Sin[k2x-ω2t]
= A1(Sin[k1x-ω1t]+Sin[k2x-ω2t]) +(A2-A1)Sin[k2x-ω2t],
i.e., the usual packet of two waves (with a group velocity, etc.), superposed with a plane wave (no group velocity).

But then, is there a group velocity to the whole thing? The first two terms you wrote have a group velocity Δω/Δk, and the last one is just a plane wave. But what is the group velocity of all three terms put together?

The envelope should still travel at the same Δω/Δk... It's just that the envelope no longer goes to zero, right?

Sorry I don't think I'm getting it. What would the expression for the envelope be?

If you look at the expression in post #5, you see the wave field is expressed as the sum of (a) two superposed sine waves of the same amplitude, for which you have a clear interpretation of the group velocity, and (b) a monochromatic wave, which does not have an unambiguous group velocity. You can calculate the envelope for (a), and (b) has a constant envelope. So my interpretation would be that the total envelope moves at the same speed as that for (a). (I believe you can decompose this wave such that it's the product of the carrier with a complex envelope, but I'm not sure this helps much with the interpretation).

If the problem arose in a physical context, you would likely know ∂ω/∂k and there would be not be this ambiguity.

1. What is the concept of group velocity in the context of two superimposed sine waves?

The group velocity of two superimposed sine waves refers to the velocity at which the overall shape, or envelope, of the waves propagates. It is different from the individual velocities of the sine waves that make up the superimposed wave.

2. How is the group velocity of two superimposed sine waves calculated?

The group velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the wave's dispersion relation with respect to its wavenumber. This will give the slope of the dispersion curve at a specific wavenumber, which is equal to the group velocity.

3. What is the relationship between the group velocity and phase velocity of two superimposed sine waves?

The group velocity and phase velocity are related through the dispersion relation. In general, the group velocity is equal to the phase velocity divided by the group index, which is a measure of how much the phase velocity changes with respect to the frequency or wavelength.

4. Can the group velocity of two superimposed sine waves be greater than the speed of light?

In some cases, the group velocity of two superimposed sine waves can exceed the speed of light. This is known as superluminal group velocity and is a consequence of the wave packets being composed of different frequencies.

5. How does the amplitude of the superimposed wave affect the group velocity of two sine waves?

The amplitude of the superimposed wave does not directly affect the group velocity of two sine waves. However, it can impact the phase velocity, which in turn can affect the group velocity through the dispersion relation. A larger amplitude may result in a higher phase velocity and therefore a higher group velocity.