Etracting ZPP from the vacuum is in violation of the 1st law of thermodynamics?

In summary, although I've yet to see any device that actually works, I don't understand how the principle of extracting ZPP or vacuum energy from the vacuum and turning it into mechanical energy violates the 1st law of thermodynamics because energy is being transferred from one place (where it EXISTS) to another (the macro level where it acts as mechanical energy). So I don't get that particular accusation. Another accusation is that how can one get more energy out of a system then we put it? BUT this depends on the definition. For example, the flame used to ignite petrol has way less energy then the energy we then get out of it. What physicists like Prof. Dr. Claus W. Turtur of the University of Applied
jonnyk
Although I've yet to see any device that actually works I don not understand how the principle of extracting ZPP or vacuum energy from the vacuum and turning it into mechanical energy violates the 1st law of thermodynamics BECAUSE energy is just being transferred from one place(where it EXISTS) to another(the macro level where it acts as mechanical energy). So I don't get that parrticular accusation. ANOTHER accusation is that how can one get more energy out of a system then we put it? BUT this depends ont he definition. For example the flame used to ignite say petrol has way less energy then the energy we then get out of it. WHAT physicists like Prof. Dr. Claus W. Turtur of the University of Applied Sciences Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, Germany, say is that with an electric field or pulse, as far as i understood, one can trigger the vacuum energy to come out much in the same way as a spark igniting fuel. SO on this basis where is the problem?

Thankyou very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The flame that lights the petrol only provides enough energy to get the molecules over the "hump" per say, and it is the energy stored in the molecules themselves that gets released. Like if you push a car over a small speed bump at the top of a hill, it takes a little bit of energy to get it going, but once it's down at the bottom, it takes ALOT more energy to get it back up. Hence why we can't simply reuse petrol and other fuels.

If it turns out that we can extract ZPP energy from space like getting it out of a battery, then so be it. Currently we just have no concrete reason to think so.

@Drakkith

Drakkith said:
The flame that lights the petrol only provides enough energy to get the molecules over the "hump" per say, and it is the energy stored in the molecules themselves that gets released. Like if you push a car over a small speed bump at the top of a hill, it takes a little bit of energy to get it going, but once it's down at the bottom, it takes ALOT more energy to get it back up. Hence why we can't simply reuse petrol and other fuels.

JK- True and the same is claimed for Zero Point Energy where a certain high voltage electric spark/magnetic flux destabilizes the system in the quantum vacuum making it release it's potential energy.

If it turns out that we can extract ZPP energy from space like getting it out of a battery, then so be it. Currently we just have no concrete reason to think so.

JK- THIS is exactly what Thomas Valone and Prof. Dr. Claus. W. Turtur are claiming is the case. I'm not sure either whether it is true because the tests have only been done on a very small scale. Here is a video:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can ZPP be extracted from the vacuum without violating the 1st law of thermodynamics?

No, the 1st law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Extracting ZPP from the vacuum would require creating energy, thus violating this law.

2. How does the 1st law of thermodynamics apply to extracting ZPP from the vacuum?

The 1st law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states energy is conserved in any physical process. This means that the total amount of energy in a system cannot change, and thus extracting ZPP from the vacuum would violate this law.

3. What is the significance of ZPP in relation to the 1st law of thermodynamics?

ZPP (Zero Point Energy) is a theoretical concept that describes the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system can have. The 1st law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and ZPP extraction would require creating energy, violating this law.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 1st law of thermodynamics that would allow for ZPP extraction from the vacuum?

No, the 1st law of thermodynamics is a fundamental and universal law of nature. It applies to all physical processes, including the extraction of ZPP from the vacuum.

5. How do scientists explain the potential for extracting ZPP from the vacuum?

While there is currently no scientific evidence or explanation for the extraction of ZPP from the vacuum, some theories suggest that it could be possible through advanced technology or understanding of quantum mechanics. However, these theories are not widely accepted and remain speculative.