Irodov: Best Problems in Physics

In summary, Irodov's "Best Problems in Physics" is a renowned collection of physics problems and exercises, widely used by students and teachers for its comprehensive coverage and challenging questions. The book covers a wide range of topics, from mechanics and thermodynamics to quantum mechanics and relativity, and includes detailed solutions for each problem. Its reputation as one of the best problem-solving resources in physics has made it a staple in many educational institutions and a valuable tool for students aiming to excel in their studies and exams.
piyush
Hi all

In this forum, I couldn't see a discussion on I.E. Irodov's " Probem in General Physics".

I used this book as an undergrad and found it immensely useful. The standard of the problems in extremely good and thought provoking. Problems range from single concept problems to complex mixture of concepts. I even discovered many profs used it as problem bank for examination questions!

Unfortunately its not available as widely now in US, although sometimes there are a few copies in Library somewhere or on www.Amazon.com ... Recommend it highly if you are lucky enough to locate it

Piyush

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Irodov was good. I have it too, though I never ended up doing very many of the problems. The problems were harder than those in Resnick & Halliday.

Its True, Its a nice problem book(arguably best in physics at UG level)

agreed!

Piyush

yep its awesome
I've got it and i feel great when i get to one of those 'as tough as everest sums' in it

MIR Publication books

Hello all!

This book and many others are available at our website: www.kamkin.com . Just scroll down the home page and click the Mir catalog.

All the best!

Igor

Frankly,I found out that most questions can be solved easily with DE(repetetive).All others Qs are good.

poolwin2001 said:
Frankly,I found out that most questions can be solved easily with DE(repetetive).All others Qs are good.

Mostly real life physics problems are solved by differential equations.

Gokul43201 said:
Mostly real life physics problems are solved by differential equations
I thought in mordern times,Topology rules(Strings,Dirac formalism of QM,etc)

But yes in my level DEs are the key.Remember the '(repetetive)'
I was bored by Qs like:bullet passing through sand ,resistance inversly proportional to v^2,boat in water -do-,so on .

But overall Irodov has done a great job.
All hail IRODOV.

Last edited:
i just ordered the book, i hope you guys are right :P

yes wonderful questions especially those towards the end of the exercise.

ahh.. I was looking for this kind of book!
Thanks a lot!

i don't know how many of uknow about thsi but there is an excellent book by krotov with problems.all difficult but wit extremely elementary solutions.the publisher is mir house

To answer the other thread, the answers are in the back.

pardesi said:
i don't know how many of uknow about thsi but there is an excellent book by krotov with problems.all difficult but wit extremely elementary solutions.the publisher is mir house

Do you know where i can get a copy of Krotov's book?

1. What is "Irodov: Best Problems in Physics"?

"Irodov: Best Problems in Physics" is a book written by renowned Russian physicist, I.E. Irodov. It is a collection of challenging problems in various areas of physics, designed to test and improve the problem-solving skills of readers.

2. Who is the intended audience for "Irodov: Best Problems in Physics"?

The book is primarily intended for undergraduate and graduate students in physics, but it can also be useful for high school students and anyone interested in strengthening their understanding of physics concepts.

3. What makes "Irodov: Best Problems in Physics" different from other physics problem books?

"Irodov: Best Problems in Physics" is known for its unique and thought-provoking problems that require a deep understanding of physics principles and their applications. The book also includes detailed solutions to each problem, making it a valuable learning resource.

4. How can "Irodov: Best Problems in Physics" benefit students?

The book can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as improve their understanding of fundamental physics concepts. It can also serve as a preparation guide for competitive exams in physics.

5. Is "Irodov: Best Problems in Physics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, the book is designed for self-study, as it includes detailed solutions to each problem. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic physics concepts before attempting the problems in the book.