Math level to solve Irodov Problems in General Physics

In summary, the speaker has recently purchased the renowned Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov and has found the first few problems to be challenging. They are wondering what mathematical background is needed to solve these problems and if they become gradually harder as the book progresses. The speaker mentions that a senior high school level of math, with an emphasis on calculus, should be sufficient for most of the problems in the book. However, there may be some advanced problems that require a deeper understanding of physics and mathematics. They also mention that the book covers topics such as first-order inhomogeneous differential equations and quantum mechanics, which may be considered more advanced. Overall, a strong foundation in calculus and analytic geometry is necessary to successfully solve the problems
playoff
Greetings, PF. With many recommendations and just enough confidence in my ability to solve problems, I've recently purchased the renowned Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov. With excitement, I opened the book and read the first problem. It took a lot of thinking to solve the first few questions, and they all were challenging on their very own ways (which, I think, is what makes this book so infamous). However, I was able to encounter problems in which I just couldn't model the situation mathematically within my abilities. Of what mathematical background are you expected to have in order to solve these problems? And are the problems to become gradually harder? If so, that isn't good news, because I am struggling hard right now.

As always, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe the author states what mathematical background is needed - not in so many words.
I think the intro talks about this - purpose of the book etc. But I don't have a copy nearby to check.

IIRC a senior high school level of maths (emphasis on calculus) should be good enough for most of the problems - 1st year college say - what you mostly need is an understanding of physics. Working on the problems is supposed to get you to that understanding.

Perhaps you can give us an example of a problem you have trouble finding a maths description for?
Maybe an example you believe is very advanced?

Likes 1 person
Irodov is a pretty hardcore oldschool book. I recall there being problems in the book that entailed 1st order inhomogenous ODE's, which I would not consider a 'basic' physics problem. I don't think I've ever looked at the qm/atomic problems in it, but I presume they go up in level pretty quickly. Outside of a few problems like those, a good grounding in calculus and analytic geometry is a must.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the recommended math level for solving Irodov problems in general physics?

The recommended math level for solving Irodov problems in general physics is advanced high school or college-level math. This includes a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and calculus.

2. Do I need to have a specific math background to solve Irodov problems?

While having a strong foundation in math is important for solving Irodov problems, there is no specific math background that is required. However, it is recommended to have knowledge in topics such as vectors, matrices, and differential equations.

3. Can I solve Irodov problems without a strong math background?

Solving Irodov problems without a strong math background may be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is important to have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts and to work on building your math skills along the way.

4. How can I improve my math level to solve Irodov problems?

To improve your math level for solving Irodov problems, it is important to practice regularly and to seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller components and focus on understanding each step.

5. Are there any tips for solving Irodov problems in general physics?

Some tips for solving Irodov problems in general physics include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, understanding the underlying concepts, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to aid in problem-solving. Additionally, it is important to double-check your calculations and to always show your work.