Copper sulfate build up on copper heatsink?

In summary, the speaker returned from vacation to find their computer not working and noticed deposits of copper sulfate on their heat sink and CPU cooler. They were unsure of the cause and asked for clarification, but later realized it was most likely just oxidation of the copper. They apologize for their initial assumption and thank the person for correcting them.
blimkie.k
I came home from a vacation to find my computer conpletely dead, I am assuming it's lightning from major storms that rocked south ontario last week.

I have noticed that I have deposits of copper sulfate on my copper heat sink and cpu cooler made by zalman. I am wondering what would cause this. I am sure it must be bad because I know it builds up on car batteries. Anyone know why I would be getting this copper sulfate? I googled it and could not find any related posts.

Cheers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The whitish suff that builds up on car batteries is lead sulfate - not copper sulfate

By what means did you come to the conclusion that the deposits on your heat sink are copper sulfate?

I would assume that it is just oxidation of the copper and you are seeing a green tinge such as that seen on the Statue of Liberty.

My apologies it was a false assumption, must have got the names mixed up for the stuff on the car battieries. I was certainly not expecting any type of oxidation or wethering to occur on a heatsink over a year so I came up with some half baked idea that maybe it was a result of a short which occurred sometime during the 2 weeks I was away. I dunno. Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers.

1. What is copper sulfate build up and why does it occur on copper heatsinks?

Copper sulfate build up is a chemical reaction that occurs between copper and sulfur compounds in the air, forming a blue-green layer on the surface of the metal. This reaction is accelerated by heat and moisture, making it common on copper heatsinks due to their exposure to high temperatures and air flow.

2. Is copper sulfate build up harmful to the performance of the heatsink?

In most cases, copper sulfate build up does not significantly affect the performance of the heatsink. However, if the layer becomes too thick, it can hinder heat dissipation and potentially cause overheating. It is important to regularly clean the heatsink to prevent excessive build up.

3. How can I prevent copper sulfate build up on my copper heatsink?

The best way to prevent copper sulfate build up is to keep the heatsink clean and dry. Wiping it down with a soft cloth regularly can remove any accumulated layers. Additionally, using a protective coating or sealant can help prevent the reaction between copper and sulfur compounds.

4. Can copper sulfate build up be removed from a copper heatsink?

Yes, copper sulfate build up can be removed by using a mild acid solution or a specialized copper cleaner. However, it is important to carefully follow instructions and safety precautions when using these cleaning methods to avoid damaging the heatsink.

5. Are there any negative effects of cleaning the copper heatsink?

In most cases, cleaning the copper heatsink will not have any negative effects. However, if using an acid solution, it is important to thoroughly rinse and dry the heatsink afterwards to prevent any residual chemicals from causing further reactions. Additionally, abrasive cleaning methods should be avoided as they can damage the surface of the heatsink.