I keep getting errors in a simple copper sulfate experiment

In summary, The total number of water molecules per copper sulfate molecule is 5, but due to imperfect lab situations, the average of two dehydrating experiments results in ~4 water molecules per copper sulfate molecule. The calculations were done using simple factor equations and converting from the weight of water to moles, and the experimental values were compared to determine the number of water molecules in copper sulfate. The first experiment resulted in an experimental value of 4.68, which was rounded up to 5 for the ratio. The second experiment resulted in an experimental value of 3.98, which was due to imperfect lab situations and the average of these two experiments resulted in ~4 water molecules per copper sulfate molecule.
DDNow

Homework Statement

I need to find the total number of water molecules per copper sulfate molecule. The answer is 5. But, I keep getting ~4 with the average of two dehydrating experiments.

2. Homework Equations with my Attempts

I am just using simple factor equations for these. I am converting from the weight of water that I liberated to moles. Then, comparing moles to find experimental values for the number of water molecules in the copper sulfate. I hope you understand. This is the first time I've tried to use LateX

Test 1

0.340g H2O * [tex]\frac{1 mol H_{2}O}{18.016g H_{2}O}[/tex] = 0.0189 mol H2O

0.6449g CuSO4 * [tex]\frac{1 mol CuSO_{4}}{159.62g CuSO_{4}}[/tex] = 0.00404 mol CuSO4

Experimental number of H2O Molecules is 4.68 or [tex]\frac{0.0189 mol H_{2}O}{0.00404}[/tex]

That's fine for that one, I can round up to 5 for the ratio.

For the second test, I used the same equations with the measured weight of 0.328g H2O and 0.729g CuSO4.

This gives 0.0182 mol H2O and 0.00457 mol CuSO4.

The experimental value for the number of H2O molecules comes out to 3.98.

This is where I am not doing so well (obviously). When I average these two and round off, I get 4. To the best of my knowledge, copper sulfate tetrahydrate doesn't exist.

So, am I just dealing with imperfect lab situations (technique, materials, etc..), or is there a fundamental flaw in my approach. Thanks for your time.

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the former.

I can understand your frustration with getting inconsistent results in your experiment. It is common to encounter errors in scientific experiments, especially when dealing with complex compounds like copper sulfate. Based on the information you provided, it seems like your approach is correct and there may be some external factors causing the discrepancies in your results. It could be due to variations in the materials used, technique, or even environmental factors like temperature and humidity. To ensure the accuracy of your results, I would recommend repeating the experiment multiple times and taking careful measurements to minimize errors. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor or a more experienced researcher for further guidance. Remember, scientific research is an iterative process and it is normal to encounter challenges and errors along the way. Keep striving for accuracy and consistency, and you will eventually find the answer you are looking for.

1. What could be causing the errors in my copper sulfate experiment?

There could be several factors contributing to the errors in your experiment. Some common reasons include inaccurate measurements, improper technique, impurities in the chemicals, or equipment malfunctions. It is important to carefully review your procedures and materials to determine the source of the errors.

2. How can I prevent errors in my copper sulfate experiment?

To prevent errors, ensure that you are using precise measuring tools and following the correct procedures. It is also important to use high-quality chemicals and properly calibrate your equipment. Double-checking your calculations and repeating the experiment multiple times can also help identify and eliminate potential sources of error.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with copper sulfate?

Yes, copper sulfate can be hazardous if not handled properly. Always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with this chemical. It is also important to handle it in a well-ventilated area and avoid contact with skin or eyes. Follow the recommended disposal methods for any leftover copper sulfate solution.

4. Can the temperature affect the results of my copper sulfate experiment?

Yes, temperature can have a significant impact on the outcome of your experiment. Copper sulfate is known to be more soluble in warmer temperatures, which can affect the concentration of your solution. It is important to keep the temperature consistent throughout the experiment to ensure accurate results.

5. What should I do if I am still getting errors in my copper sulfate experiment?

If you are still experiencing errors, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek guidance from a mentor or instructor. They may be able to offer insights or suggest alternative methods that could improve the accuracy of your experiment. Additionally, reviewing the literature on similar experiments or seeking advice from experts in the field may also be beneficial.