View Single Post
Tominator
Jan25-09, 04:44 AM
P: 77
Thanks for your answers

Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
There is no physical "almost instantly" when the results move at the speed of light. No matter how fast you physically swap the polarity, it will be a snails pace when compared to the speed of light. At best you could, in principle, approach some arbitrary fraction of the speed of light.
I know, but as in the example shown in the thread, if the field was vast enough, even this fraction of speed of light would be enough. In your reply to my thread, you have said:
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Changes in the field would still propogate at the speed of light. They would spread outward like ripples in a pond.
I was asking about some distant point of the field, to which "ripples" has not yet arrived. If the field was realy vast, and I turned off the field generator, would the field, in some very distant point, be able to, for example, attract some metal micrometeorite? (even though, it`s generator was turned off)
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
To add to what DavidC was telling you,

Yes. And they do curve. From a rotating magnet, with the poles not aligned with the axis of rotation, as you imply, there are spiraling magnetic fields alternating in direction propagating outward at the speed of light (in vacuum conditions). The guys proficient in Cosmology can tell you about this.
If I understand this well, then the rotating permanent magnet would generate waves. would it? If yes would they be ordinary EM waves?