Instantaneous collapse of magnetic field?

In summary, according to this expert, if you turn off an electromagnet suddenly, the magnetic field will collapse.
Lady MYSTERY
Let's suppose you had an electromagnet generating a magnetic field. That field would expand at the speed of light.

However, once upon a time, I was told that if this electromagnet were turned off, the field would completely instantaneously collapse, instead of collapsing at the speed of light, and thus the magnetic field would cease to expand (however weak it may be).

This seems sketchy to me. Someone please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like saying that if the sun magically disappeared, we would stop feeling its gravity instantaneously.

Precisely why this seems sketchy to me.

I think "sketchy" is giving it too much credit.

It would not collapse instantly. It could collapse very quickly, but not faster than the speed of light.

It's very complicated, but the short answer is that electromagnetic effects are mediated by photons (light, radio, etc). These may be real or "virtual", but they all move at the speed of light because they are light.

There is also the practical matter of the casual effect to stop the flow of charge getting to the coil and propigating around an d through it at, at most, the speed of light. Then you'd have to stop the electrons instantly by instantly extracting all of the energy you put in there to originally build-up the magnetic field.

Nope, that wouldn't happen.

Video about what magnetic fields really are.

Mind you, this came an alleged hot-shot egghead, in regards to my inquiry about a system that would hypothetically allow you to craft flying teapots to go along with your flying saucers--save for this instantaneously-collapsing conundrum. (Though, I shan't yet go too deep in these details, lest I give a poor first impression. o.- )

A change of heart, I may as well:

Suppose you had two electromagnets bound to the same vessel.

. . . . {a} . . . . {b} . . . .

[a] first turns on and very quickly (assuming such a machine could be made), turning OFF before/just-as the field reaches . so:

. .(+( . {a} . )-) . {b} . . . .

Hypothetically, nothing happens yet. But now, just as the magnetic field of [a] reaches , turns on, as to interact with the field of [a] :
(assuming the field does not instantaneously collapse when the electromagnet is turned OFF)

(+( . . {a} . . )-)({b}) . . .

Now here is where we have the quandary. Hypothetically, from the perspective of {b}. {a} is turned on and producing a magnetic field to interact with, to push from or pull to. However, from the perspective of {a} at this time, {b} is off and is presenting no such field to interact with, resulting in a 1-sided interaction and hypothetically locomotion.

(if the system were optimized, the polarity of {a} would reverse just as its initial field reaches {b} instead of turning OFF, and I hope you can see where it goes from there . . .)

Last edited:
Lady MYSTERY said:
A change of heart, I may as well:

Suppose you had two electromagnets bound to the same vessel.

. . . . {a} . . . . {b} . . . .

[a] first turns on and very quickly (assuming such a machine could be made), turning OFF before/just-as the field reaches . so:

. .(+( . {a} . )-) . {b} . . . .

Hypothetically, nothing happens yet. But now, just as the magnetic field of [a] reaches , turns on, as to interact with the field of [a] :
(assuming the field does not instantaneously collapse when the electromagnet is turned OFF)

(+( . . {a} . . )-)({b}) . . .

Now here is where we have the quandary. Hypothetically, from the perspective of {b}. {a} is turned on and producing a magnetic field to interact with, to push from or pull to. However, from the perspective of {a} at this time, {b} is off and is presenting no such field to interact with, resulting in a 1-sided interaction and hypothetically locomotion.

(if the system were optimized, the polarity of {a} would reverse just as its initial field reaches {b} instead of turning OFF, and I hope you can see where it goes from there . . .)

Blargh forums. It should be fixed and readable now.

Welcome to the PF.

We do not discuss or debunk crackpottery here. Please re-read the PF rules that you agreed to when you joined here (see Info at the top of the page). Thank you. :smile:

1. What is an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field?

An instantaneous collapse of magnetic field refers to the sudden disappearance or significant decrease of a magnetic field's strength in a short period of time. This can occur naturally or artificially, and can have various effects depending on the strength and location of the field.

2. What causes an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field?

There are several potential causes for an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field. Natural causes include solar flares, which can disrupt the Earth's magnetic field, and the movement of tectonic plates, which can change the distribution of magnetic materials in the Earth's crust. Artificial causes can include power surges or the intentional deactivation of magnetic fields for scientific or industrial purposes.

3. What are the consequences of an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field?

The consequences of an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field can vary depending on the strength and location of the field. In some cases, it can cause disruptions in electronic devices and communication systems. It can also affect animal navigation and migration patterns. Additionally, if the collapse is strong enough, it can potentially cause power outages and damage to electrical infrastructure.

4. Can we predict when an instantaneous collapse of magnetic field will occur?

While scientists can monitor and track changes in magnetic fields, it is difficult to predict when an instantaneous collapse will occur. Natural causes, such as solar flares, can be monitored to some extent, but it is challenging to predict the exact timing and strength of these events. Artificial causes, on the other hand, can often be controlled and planned for.

5. How do scientists study instantaneous collapse of magnetic field?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study instantaneous collapse of magnetic field. This can include magnetometers, which measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields, and simulations using computer models. Scientists also conduct experiments in controlled environments to better understand the effects of an instantaneous collapse on various materials and systems.