EM wave near field propagating faster than light?

In summary: I can't do that, because it's beyond the scope of what I know. I suggest you read the paper and then come back and ask me more specific questions.In summary, Sources say that there is no limit to the phase velocity, and that only the speed of the wave front must be less than the speed of light.
DoobleD
Sources : paper here and http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-phase-of-the-EM-waves (fifth paragraph).

This is beyond my knowledge so I am not looking for an explanation of the phenomenon. But I thought nothing could go faster than light so I am very surprised.

Are there exceptions to the speed of light as a maximum limit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are no exceptions. The ##c > c_0## in the article is the group speed.
As a student I had to solve this problem:

Imagine a bar moving in the vertical direction with a speed 90% of the speed of light. It is at an angle ##\alpha## with the horizontal where ##\tan \alpha = 0.5##.
The bar passes another bar that is horizontal and at rest. With what speed does the crossing point of the two bars move in the x direction ?

(The answer is 1.8 c. But that doesn't mean things can move faster than light).​

There's no limit for the phase velocity. Only the speed of the wave front must be ##\leq c##, and that's always the case, as proven by Sommerfeld in 1907. There are two famous papers by Sommerfeld and Brillouin somwhat later (but they are in German). You find a good discussion of this issue in the textbook by Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, even with the citation of an experimental observation of the Sommerfeld and Brillouin precursers.

BTW, it's better to give an explicit link to an abstract on the arxiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0001063

I haven't read the paper, but note that it is not published in a peer-reviewed journal, and it's typed in Word. Thus, you have to read the paper with great sceptical care ;-)).

BvU said:
Imagine a bar moving in the vertical direction with a speed 90% of the speed of light. It is at an angle ##\alpha## with the horizontal where ##\tan \alpha = 0.5##.
The bar passes another bar that is horizontal and at rest. With what speed does the crossing point of the two bars move in the x direction ?

(The answer is 1.8 c. But that doesn't mean things can move faster than light).​

Hm I have the feeling this problem requires special relativity, which I haven't really learned yet. I have briefly read about the Lorentz transform and some if it consequences though, so I might be able to understand the solution to this problem, if you can show it to me. If that's not too much to ask!

vanhees71 said:
There's no limit for the phase velocity. Only the speed of the wave front must be ##\leq c##, and that's always the case, as proven by Sommerfeld in 1907. There are two famous papers by Sommerfeld and Brillouin somwhat later (but they are in German). You find a good discussion of this issue in the textbook by Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, even with the citation of an experimental observation of the Sommerfeld and Brillouin precursers.

BTW, it's better to give an explicit link to an abstract on the arxiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0001063

I haven't read the paper, but note that it is not published in a peer-reviewed journal, and it's typed in Word. Thus, you have to read the paper with great sceptical care ;-)).

The paper is a bit above my knowledge. I really need to learn about complex numbers...

Anyway both of your answer make me remember something I heard : that nothing can move through space faster than light, but space itself, distance between two points for instance, can grow faster than light.

Is this somehow like the phase? I mean, the phase angle is a kind of distance I guess, a shift.

Does the light speed limit is only for physical "things" (matter, energy, ...) moving?

There is a paper from LANL about superluminal polarization currents that are generated by phasing several RF generator on a curved dielectric. They built several types of technology demonstrators where the pattern of electric polarization is superluminal.
http://laacg.lanl.gov/superluminal/pubs/DRsummary.pdf

Some impressive engineering in designing systems to create electromagnetic "Shock waves".

Without having read the above linked report, it's for sure saying on p. 6 that nothing violates Maxwell's equation or (consequently) Special Relativity. So the question is, which speed the authors refer to. As I said above, many "speeds" can exceed the speed of light in vacuo without violation any relativistic laws, among them the phase or group velocities of electromagnetic waves. The only velocity which has to obey the speed limit is the speed of the wave front, and that all proper retarded solutions of the Maxwell equations automatical obey this speed limit. Besides Jackson's treathment in his textbook I can also recommend Sommerfeld's treatment in vol. 4 (optics) of his "Lectures on Theoretical Physics".

Likes nsaspook
Dear DD,

Hm I have the feeling this problem requires special relativity, which I haven't really learned yet. I have briefly read about the Lorentz transform and some if it consequences though, so I might be able to understand the solution to this problem, if you can show it to me. If that's not too much to ask!
The crux is that it doesn't. Such a crossing point is not a material thing but an imagined, geometric observation. So ##v'= v / \tan\alpha = 0.9 c /0.5##.

The superluminal articles are way above your head (and mine). Concentrate on understanding the Lorentz transformation for very simple cases. It's already dazzling enough. Next step would be electromagnetism. Then the combination of the two with retarded potentials and such. Long way to go.

BvU said:
The crux is that it doesn't. Such a crossing point is not a material thing but an imagined, geometric observation. So v′=v/tanα=0.9c/0.5v'= v / \tan\alpha = 0.9 c /0.5.

I'm sorry I don't get it. Could you show me the setup of the problem? I have tried several possibilities (2 below) but I must set it wrong.

971688IMG20150903162056.jpg

BvU said:
Long way to go.

Aha, yep. And then if I get there, I'll still have in front of me some minor things to learn like quantum mechanics, general relativity, quantum field theory, string theory and so on, with all the required maths to learn as well, of course. :D

vanhees71 said:
Have a look at my (unfinished) writeup about SRT:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Thank you, I stored the link for when I'll start SR.

DoobleD said:
I'm sorry I don't get it. Could you show me the setup of the problem? I have tried several possibilities (2 below) but I must set it wrong.

Crossbar.jpg
and your right picture was just a few nanoseconds too late :smile:

BvU said:
View attachment 88164and your right picture was just a few nanoseconds too late :smile:

Damn when you look at the drawing it is obvious! Thank you very much. Indeed the crossing point is moving faster than light then. Geometry can change faster than c, good thing to remember.

BTW at 0.9c isn't there some relativistic effect that affect the solution? Length contraction of the moving bar? Hm, well that doesn't seem to affect the speed of the crossing point. So no relativistic effect here? Just being curious.

1. What is the "near field" in relation to EM waves?

The near field is a region close to the source of an electromagnetic wave where the electric and magnetic fields are not fully separated and behave differently than in the far field. This region is typically within a distance of one wavelength from the source.

2. How can an EM wave propagate faster than light in the near field?

In the near field, the electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other, causing a displacement current that can travel faster than the speed of light. This effect is known as superluminal propagation and is only possible in the near field.

3. What are the implications of EM waves propagating faster than light in the near field?

This phenomenon does not violate the laws of physics or the theory of relativity, as the superluminal speed is only observed in the near field and does not actually transmit information faster than light. However, it can cause confusion in experiments and measurements, and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.

4. Can EM waves in the near field be used for faster communication?

No, the superluminal propagation in the near field does not allow for faster communication. In order for information to be transmitted faster than light, it would need to travel in the far field, where the electric and magnetic fields are fully separated and the speed of light is the maximum speed.

5. Is there any practical application for EM waves propagating faster than light in the near field?

While there are no practical applications for superluminal propagation in the near field, it has been observed in experiments and is a subject of ongoing research. It may have potential implications in the fields of quantum mechanics and electromagnetic metamaterials.