Thread: Lingo
View Single Post
The Bob
Jul4-04, 04:51 AM
P: 1,116
Quote Quote by Gokul43201
Valency is the number of electrons that need to be added or removed from the outermost shell of an atom to make it have a fully filled outer shell. Sodium (Na) has 1 electron in its outer shell. It is easier to remove this one electron than to add 7 more to fill the shell. Thus, Na is said to have a valency of +1. Oxygen has 6 electrons in its outer shell, and finds it easier to add 2 electrons to fill this shell. O has a valency of -2. When Na reacts with O, the O atom takes 1 electron from each of two Na atoms (which are happy to give up an electron each). Hence the compound that is formed has the formula Na2O. Thus the valencies determine the ratios in which different elements react to form compounds.
Thanks about this part Gokul. It has been annoying me for ages not knowing what valency is.

I will think about what you said and re-read the part about quanta because it is not making sense to me at the minute. Cheers all the same

The Bob (2004 )

P.S. Oh and not to forget Moonbear with the QED version I wanted. Cheers darling.