View Single Post
Aug9-10, 05:46 PM
PF Gold
turbo's Avatar
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
If he already has an ophomologist that he sees, then yes, he should go straight to him/her. I suggested the GP route mainly because a referral from your GP is often required to see specialists, for many insurance plans here in the US. Or if he could get a referral straight from his GP's nurse over the phone for an opthomologist, that wuold be even better (saves the cost of the office visit). GPs can't do much with eyes (don't think they can even dilate?...), so any GP contact would be to facilitate the ophomologist visit.
I don't think even an optometrist is allowed to dilate. A GP may actually be allowed to do so under some circumstances, since they are medical doctors, but frankly, they know little or nothing about the infrequent (rare) eye conditions that can arise.

When I wasn't working in my optical lab or fixing network problems, I often spent time preparing educational materials for optometrists. Our ophthalmologists put on educational weekend get-aways for optometrists at least once every year to educate them on the symptoms of eye conditions that they were not trained to recognize, so that patients could be referred appropriately.

And you're absolutely right about getting the referral if he doesn't already see an ophthalmologist. Insurance companies are keen to deny payment for even what might be considered an emergency visit if they can discount the nature of the emergency with their rules. I didn't think about the OP already having an optometrist partly because I've worked with so many ophthalmologists. I won't trust my eyesight to an optometrist. My eye doctor is an old friend and I see him religiously every 2 years. Unfortunately, due to my age and incipient cataracts (too much ski-patrol work with non-UV-blocking sunglasses) he usually dilates my eyes. I hate driving home on sunny days dilated.