View Single Post
irycio
Jul11-11, 03:30 PM
P: 97
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Well, I'm not sure if this is a correct subforum to post my problem, but to me it does seem to me as an academic problem. One I can not solve, apparently.

Well, anyway. I'm solving the 1+1 radial wave equation using finite difference. I shifted my grid, so that the origin (r=0) is not one of it's points. I also applied advection boundary condition to prevent reflections.

Now, the problem I have left are the boundary conditions near r=0. Since I'm using five point stencil to approximate spatial derivative, I need to apply them to 2 first points.
I assumed, that since my initial conditions (f(r,t=0)=10.0*exp(-100* r^2)) are symmetric (actually I'm trying to receive an analytic solution f(r,t)=(r-t)/r * 10.0*exp(-100* (r-t)^2), so the initial time derivative is appropriate), so should be the solution (otherwise it would depend on the angles, and I don't want it to).

Hence whenever my five point stencil calls for a non-existent point, I replace it with it's mirror, that lies within my grid.

And so unfortunately that doesn't work as expected. All in all, the "real" solution can be <0 for a given r and t, whereas my solution remains >0 (well, actually at some points the value is equal to, say -0,008, but then around it there are points with value of, say, 0,005, so that it's I believe just some random noise).

Since I checked my code couple of times, checked the initial conditions, I believe the problem lies within the BCs. And so, any help will be much appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye