Implementing symmetry boundary condition for the diffusion equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a 1D diffusion equation on a 10m long rod with fixed temperature at the right boundary and a varying temperature at the left boundary. The code also includes the initialization of coefficients and solving for the implicit temperature profile. The question posed is how to implement a symmetry boundary condition and an infinite boundary condition. The expert summarizer explains that an infinite boundary condition is not possible for numerical solvers and suggests using a large value at the needed boundary instead. However, for the goal of modeling the absence of a boundary or a boundary at infinity, the expert suggests using the diffusion equation at the end point as the boundary condition. This can be done using a one-sided finite difference at the boundary.
Atr cheema
The following lines of codes implements 1D diffusion equation on 10 m long rod with fixed temperature at right boundary and right boundary temperature varying with time.
Code:
    xsize   =   10;               % Model size, m
xnum    =   10;                 % Number of nodes
xstp    =   xsize/(xnum-1);     % Grid step
tnum    =   504;                 % number of timesteps
kappa   =   833.33;            %     k/rhocp;            % Thermal diffusivity, m^2/s
dt     =   300;                      % Timestep
x       =   0:xstp:xsize;         %Creating vector for nodal point positions
tlbc = sin(linspace(0.1,2.9,tnum));      % left boundary condition
%Define initial temperature profile
tback   =   0;               % background temperature, K

for i=1:1:xnum
    % Background profile   
    t0imp(i)    =   tback;      % profile for implicit solving
    end
end
% Time cycle
timesum=0; % Elapsed time
for t=1:1:tnum

% Matrix of coefficients initialization for implicit solving
    L       =       sparse(xnum,xnum);
    % Vector of right part initialization for implicit solving
    R       =       zeros(xnum,1);

% Implicit solving of 1D temperature equation: dT/dt=kappa*d2T/dx2
    % Composing matrix of coefficients L()
    % and vector (column) of right parts R()
    % First point: T=tback
    L(1,1)  =       1;
    R(1,1)  =       tlbc(t);
    % Intermediate points
    for i=2:1:xnum-1
        % dT/dt=kappa*d2T/dx2
        % Tnew(i)/dt-kappa*(Tnew(i-1)-2*Tnew(i)+Tnew(i+1))/dx^2=Told(i)/dt
        %%% Eq 10.6
        L(i,i-1)    =   -kappa/xstp^2;
        L(i,i)      =   1/dt+2*kappa/xstp^2;
        L(i,i+1)    =   -kappa/xstp^2;
        R(i,1)      =   t0imp(i)/dt;
    end
    % Last point:T=tback
    L(xnum,xnum)    =   1;

R(xnum,1)       =  tback;
    % Obtaining solution for implicit temperature profile
    t1imp           =   L\R;

end

My question is how can I implement a symmetry boundary condition. I mean the temperature calculated for 9th node is assigned to 10th node? Also I want to know how can I implement infinite boundary condition?

Technology news on Phys.org
Atr cheema said:
I mean the temperature calculated for 9th node is assigned to 10th node?
Node10=Node9 ...?
I don't understand why you would want to do this though. Can you explain how this relates to the diffusion problem stated?
Atr cheema said:
Also I want to know how can I implement infinite boundary condition?
For numerical solvers, you can't do this in general. I'm also not aware of any physical problem which would require an infinite boundary condition. If you want an infinite boundary for whatever reason, the best you can do numerically is assign a very large value at the needed boundary.

NFuller said:
Node10=Node9 ...?
I don't understand why you would want to do this though. Can you explain how this relates to the diffusion problem stated?
I want to implement a boundary condition where presence of boundary has no impact . I am using diffusion equation to model fluid flow in porous medium and want to correlate the numerical model with an analytical model where flux at right boundary is zero i.e. ## \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0 ## . Consider u as fluid head instead of temperature. I think in this case, having zero flux at right boundary means that right boundary is having no impact on fluid head/heat flow in x direction.

Atr cheema said:
I think in this case, having zero flux at right boundary means that right boundary is having no impact on fluid head/heat flow in x direction.
Zero flux is equivalent to one end having an impermeable barrier, and would definitely have an impact on the solution. If your goal is to model the absence of a boundary or a boundary at infinity, then your boundary condition can be taken as the diffusion equation at the end point,
$$\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=D\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}\bigg |_{x=10}$$
Depending on how your algorithm works, this can be done with a one-sided finite difference at the boundary.

NFuller said:
Depending on how your algorithm works, this can be done with a one-sided finite difference at the boundary.
Could you please explain this that in the given case, how can this infinity boundary condition be implemented here?

1. What is a symmetry boundary condition?

A symmetry boundary condition is a type of boundary condition that is applied to the edges of a computational domain in order to simulate a symmetric effect on the solution of a mathematical model. It specifies that the solution at a given point on the boundary is equal to the solution at a point mirrored across the boundary.

2. Why is implementing a symmetry boundary condition important for the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation models the spread of a substance or quantity through a medium. In order to accurately simulate this process, it is important to accurately represent the boundaries of the domain. Implementing a symmetry boundary condition allows for a more realistic representation of the boundaries and can improve the accuracy of the overall solution.

3. How is a symmetry boundary condition implemented in the diffusion equation?

In order to implement a symmetry boundary condition for the diffusion equation, the boundary conditions must be defined as the value of the solution at a given point being equal to the solution at the point mirrored across the boundary. This can be achieved by modifying the equations used to solve the diffusion equation and incorporating the symmetry boundary condition into the solution method.

4. What are some challenges in implementing a symmetry boundary condition for the diffusion equation?

One of the main challenges in implementing a symmetry boundary condition for the diffusion equation is ensuring that the boundary conditions are accurately defined and incorporated into the solution method. This can require a thorough understanding of the mathematical model and the numerical methods used to solve it. Additionally, depending on the complexity of the system being modeled, it may be difficult to accurately represent the boundaries with a symmetry condition.

5. Are there any other types of boundary conditions that can be used for the diffusion equation?

Yes, there are many other types of boundary conditions that can be used for the diffusion equation, such as Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and Robin boundary conditions. These conditions specify the value of the solution or its derivative at the boundary, rather than enforcing a symmetry across the boundary. The choice of boundary condition will depend on the specific problem being modeled and the desired outcome.