View Single Post
process91
Aug29-11, 10:53 PM
P: 106
This question is not about how to calculate the logarithm, but rather what method would be expected of someone in 1969.

I am going through Apostol's Calculus, and in section 6.10 Apostol introduces polynomial approximations to the natural logarithm. Specifically, he introduces the following theorem:

If [itex]0<x<1[/itex] and if [itex]m \ge 1[/itex] we have

[itex]\ln{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}=2(x+\frac{x^3}{3}+...+\frac{x^{2m-1}}{2m-1})+R_m(x)[/itex]

where the error term, [itex]R_m (x)[/itex], satisfies the inequalities

[itex]\frac{x^{2m+1}}{2m+1}<R_m (x) \le \frac{2-x}{1-x} \frac{x^{2m+1}}{2m+1}[/itex]

The first question of section 6.11 instructs the reader to use this theorem with [itex]x=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] and [itex]m=5[/itex] in order to calculate approvimations to [itex]\ln{2}[/itex]. It instructs to retain nine decimals in the calculations in order to obtain the inequalities [itex]0.6931460<ln{2}<0.6931476[/itex].

Now, I know how to do this; what I mean is that I know the mechanical procedure required to arithmetically calculate this out by hand, but is that really what would be expected of someone in 1969 (when this book was published)? I have tried to do it out by hand three times and failed every time due to a simple mistake at some point. I know calculators were just being developed around that time, but I'm not sure to what extent I should use one, or if I should allow myself to use one at all. What were Apostol's expectations of his students here? I will say, however, that there are 4 questions like this, and given my current rate I may be stuck on these for a while.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history