Integration that leads to logarithm functions problem

In summary, a high school student is working through calculus problems involving integration and logarithm functions. They have noticed a discrepancy in their solutions and seek clarification. They explore two different methods, one using a derivative rule and the other using the properties of logarithms. They receive help and continue their exercises.
Philip Robotic
Hi everyone,
So I am a high school student and I am learning calculus by myself right now (pretty new to that stuff still). Currently I am working through some problems where integration leads to logarithm functions. While doing one of the exercises I noticed one thing I don't understand. I think I am missing something obvious. Could someone explain this to me please?

So the task is to solve an integral:

(1)$$\int { \frac { { x }^{ -\frac { 1 }{ 2 } } }{ { 2x }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 2 } } } } dx$$

I reduced it to
(2) $$\int { \frac { 1 }{ 2x } } dx$$

And then solved it, no problem here (yet)
(3)$$\int { \frac { 1 }{ 2x } } dx\quad =\quad \int { \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \cdot } \frac { 1 }{ x } dx\quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \cdot \int { \frac { 1 }{ x } dx } \quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \ln { \left| x \right| } +C$$

But I thought as well that I can do it a different way round. I could set the nominator to be the derivative of 2x to use the rule:
(4)$$\int { \frac { f'(x) }{ f(x) } } dx\quad =\quad \ln { \left| f(x) \right| } +C$$
(I know I used it previously :wink:)

So that is what I did first, as 2 is the derivative i set the nominator as 2 and compensated for it with a fraction:
(5)$$\int { \frac { 1 }{ 2x } } dx\quad =\quad \int { \frac { 1 }{ 2 } } \cdot \frac { 2 }{ 2x } dx\quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \int { \frac { 2 }{ 2x } } dx$$
I know the integrand can be simplified but I think it should work either way, shouldn't it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to the solving. So now, according to the rule from the eq. (4) I get something weird:
(6)$$\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \int { \frac { 2 }{ 2x } } dx\quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \ln { \left| 2x \right| } +C$$
And the result does not equal to the one I got in the eq. (3). Please help, where have I made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
No mistake. You just have different integration constants. Note that ##\ln(ax) = \ln(x) + \ln(a)##.

Likes Philip Robotic and member 587159
Thank you very much for help! Sometimes I just freeze on this kind of stuff, and a hint is very useful. Back to exercises then :smile:

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse process of differentiation, which is used to find the slope of a curve.

2. How do you integrate a function?

To integrate a function, you need to follow a set of rules and techniques, such as the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts. These methods help you to simplify the function and find the area under the curve.

3. What is the relationship between integration and logarithm functions?

Integration can lead to logarithm functions because, in some cases, the derivative of a logarithm function is the original function. This is known as the inverse property of logarithms, and it is used in integration to solve problems.

4. Why is integration important?

Integration is an essential tool in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It allows us to solve a wide range of problems, such as finding areas, volumes, and even the value of a function at a specific point. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, you need to practice solving various integration problems using different methods. You can also read textbooks and watch online tutorials to learn new techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to understand the concepts behind integration and how it relates to other mathematical concepts.