View Single Post
Saladsamurai
Jan21-12, 07:57 PM
P: 3,015
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Just my 2 cents worth. Others may disagree!

1. For efficiency, the less dynamic allocation and freeing of memory the better.
2. For programming sanity, it's rarely a good idea for a function to allocate a significant amount of memory, and then rely on the caller of the function to free it when it's no longer required. The consequences of getting the memory management logic wrong are either memory leaks or crashes.
3. Many library equation solvers return the solution in the same array that you supplied the right hand side. That way, if the caller wants to remember what the right hand side was, it's his/her responsibility - and mostly, you don't want to remember it anyway.
Hi AlphaZero

1. For efficiency, the less dynamic allocation and freeing of memory the better.
Thanks for your input.While I understand what you are saying at face value, I am not sure what impact is has on my code as written. How do I avoid 'dynamically allocating memory'? Do you mean, that the less amount of formal parameters that I declare, the better? Or is there more to it than that?

2. For programming sanity, it's rarely a good idea for a function to allocate a significant amount of memory, and then rely on the caller of the function to free it when it's no longer required. The consequences of getting the memory management logic wrong are either memory leaks or crashes.
What does it mean "to rely on the caller to free it"? (I am new at all this.) So if within a function I declare a local object double someArray[1000] and then I call the function from within main(), it allocates enough memory for the array. When it returns from the function, does it not automatically deallocate the memory?

3. Many library equation solvers return the solution in the same array that you supplied the right hand side. That way, if the caller wants to remember what the right hand side was, it's his/her responsibility - and mostly, you don't want to remember it anyway.
I like it. You are right that the RHS is no longer needed within the function and so it could be overwritten.