Is the Error Building Cuba-2.1 Causing Faulty Outputs?

In summary, the user is trying to build Cuba-2.1 but is having trouble. He configures everything correctly but when he tries to make the library and the executable, he gets an error. The error he's getting is a conflict between a library and an executable. He's not sure whether the error is with the files he's creating or with something more vital, but he fears it's something serious. After some research, he finds out that he needs to do a clean build to fix any errors.
Angelos K
Hi, all!

Unfortunately I'm not much of a computer guy, so I'm sorry if I leave out anything important.

I'm attempting to build Cuba-2.1. The distribution I'm using is:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS"

I go inside the directory containing all Cuba files and do:

./configure

whereupon everything looks fine.

Then I do

make all

whereupon a huge amount of output is produced, ending:

ranlib libcuba.a
gcc -O0 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./src/common -I. -I. -o demo-c ./demo/demo-c.c libcuba.a -lm
f77 -g -O2 -o demo-fortran ./demo/demo-fortran.F libcuba.a -lm
MAIN cubatest:
integrand:
<stdin>:119: error: conflicting types for ‘integrand_’
./demo/demo-fortran.F:34: note: previous declaration of ‘integrand_’ was here
/usr/bin/f77: aborting compilation
make: *** [demo-fortran] Error 1

The outputs I need - cuba.h and libcuba.a - are produced, buit of course I fear they are faulty. I am unsure whether the error concerns demo files or anything vital, but I need to do everything cleanly...

By the way: the output talks a lot about fortran. I won't use this in fortran, but only in pure C. In addition, I have tried the same procedure with the 3.0 beta release. The same (or very similar) things occured.

Thank you for your time and any help,
Angelos

Technology news on Phys.org
It's probably not anything that you need to worry about. If it produced the library and the executable that you need, then it's fine.

Taken from a website describing the 'gcc make' Error codes:

[foo] Error NN’ ‘[foo] signal description’ These errors are not really make errors at all. They mean that a program that make invoked as part of a recipe returned a non-0 error code (‘Error NN’), which make interprets as failure, or it exited in some other abnormal fashion (with a signal of some type). See Errors in Recipes. If no * is attached to the message, then the subprocess failed but the rule in the makefile was prefixed with the - special character, so make ignored the error.

I've had that happen with several different libraries during the make process. It's usually not anything to worry about.

FourierFaux said:
It's probably not anything that you need to worry about. If it produced the library and the executable that you need, then it's fine.

Taken from a website describing the 'gcc make' Error codes:

[foo] Error NN’ ‘[foo] signal description’ These errors are not really make errors at all. They mean that a program that make invoked as part of a recipe returned a non-0 error code (‘Error NN’), which make interprets as failure, or it exited in some other abnormal fashion (with a signal of some type). See Errors in Recipes. If no * is attached to the message, then the subprocess failed but the rule in the makefile was prefixed with the - special character, so make ignored the error.

I've had that happen with several different libraries during the make process. It's usually not anything to worry about.

Uhh :uhh: the error you mention is not given.
Moreover the build output says 'aborting compilation', so make really did not ignore the error.

Apparently a test is executed as part of the build to verify the correct behavior of the library.
And that test failed! Ignore at your own peril.
Furthermore, the tests that came after were not executed, so there may be more that is wrong.

To the OP, perhaps you can check the content of your Makefile and find the references to:
1. MAIN cubatest:
2. integrand:
3. ./demo/demo-fortran.F line 34

If it's only a problem with the fortran file which you do not use, perhaps you can comment out the fortran module or something and redo the make.

make really did not ignore the error.

Oh... I didn't realize that it would do that. Sorry. :redface:

Hello Angelos,

Based on the information provided, it seems that there may be an issue with the compilation process of Cuba-2.1. The conflicting types error in the demo-fortran file could potentially be causing faulty outputs, but without further information it is difficult to say for sure.

I would suggest reaching out to the developers of Cuba-2.1 for assistance with this issue. They will likely be able to provide more insight and help troubleshoot the problem. Additionally, make sure to carefully follow any installation instructions and check for any updates or patches that may address this issue.

Best of luck with your project!

1. What is "Error Building Cuba-2.1"?

"Error Building Cuba-2.1" is a common error message that occurs during the process of building or compiling the Cuba-2.1 software package. It indicates that there was a problem during the build process and the software was not successfully created.

2. What can cause the "Error Building Cuba-2.1"?

There can be several reasons for this error, including missing or incorrect dependencies, incompatible software versions, or errors in the source code itself. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for building the software and to check for any potential issues in the code.

3. How can I fix the "Error Building Cuba-2.1"?

The specific steps to fix this error will depend on the cause. Some common solutions include updating dependencies, checking for compatibility issues, and debugging any errors in the source code. It may also be helpful to consult online forums or seek assistance from other users who have encountered the same error.

4. Is there a way to prevent the "Error Building Cuba-2.1"?

While it is not always possible to prevent this error, there are some steps that can help minimize the chances of encountering it. This includes carefully following the instructions for building the software, regularly updating dependencies, and thoroughly testing the code before attempting to build it.

5. Can I still use the Cuba-2.1 software if I encounter the "Error Building Cuba-2.1"?

In most cases, the "Error Building Cuba-2.1" does not indicate a complete failure of the software. It simply means that the build process was not successful. Depending on the severity of the error, it may still be possible to use the software, but it is recommended to address the error and try to successfully build the software before using it.