View Single Post
Mentat
Jun9-03, 12:00 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by Artman
Mentat,
Sorry to hear about your friend's wife. My mother died from Breast cancer and my sister had it and survived.

My sister is convinced that her mental attitude played a major role in fighting this disease. She had a rather negative attiude going in then she underwent an amazing transformation of character during her fight. She became determined not to let it win. This was not easy for her to do, because our mother died after she was diagnosed with the same disease, she had to distance herself from this realization and wasn't even able to allow herself to mourn as she would have until years later. She also was trained as an opera singer and some of the treatments made her lose her voice. She was told she may never sing again.

My sister also followed all of the doctor's recommendations and underwent surgery, reconstruction surgery, a bone marrow transplant and chemo therapy.

Your friend should try and not feel sorry for herself, she needs to keep her hopes high and not give in to dispair. This is not easy to do, but the mind does have amazing powers to cure the body. My sister is a deeply religious person and also believes that prayer played a role in her recovery.

Take it for what it's worth, but my sister is clear of cancer today (nearly ten years later) and she sings professionally part time.
So that's why they are doing "positive linguistics" with her. Hmm. Interesting.

Yeah, I guess it does make sense that your attitude should play a large role in how easily you overcome the sickness.