View Single Post
geordief
Feb11-12, 01:10 PM
P: 80
Reading the February edition of the New Scientist (about space-time being possiblly quantized in its own right) I read that the event horizon of a black hole is a 2-dimensional entity that may possibly encode all the information to describe the 3- 0r ->3 dimensional universe inside.

That is interesting of course but am I right to wonder how the surface of the black hole can be described as 2-dimensional in the first place?

In my poor little mind it would only qualify as 2 dimensional (and then only in theory) if it was purely idealised as a surface with zero width.

This would be impossible unless the black hole was to exist in isolation to the rest of the universe.

To my mind 1- ,2- 3- dimensional obnjects are all idealisations from the established 4- or higher dimensional setup we work in at the moment.

That seems to be my main point: I can cope with gazillions of hypothetical extra dimensions but not with any subtraction of those we already seem to be dealing with.

Have I got things by the wrong handle somehow or am I just naturally obtuse (or both obviously) ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets