Photon behaviour across EH threshold

In summary: So the singularity is inside the event horizon. The radial point is just the point of no return. If you go any further the gravitational forces will be too great and you will be pulled in and crushed against the event horizon. In summary, black holes have event horizons that are stationary spheres from the outside, but inside they are cylinders with the singularity at the center.
MSC93
TL;DR Summary
How will photons behave once they have crossed the threshold of a black holes event horizon?
Physics is not my area of expertise.

That being said, philosophy of science is, but I'm not here to discuss philosophy.
I recently found myself trying to imagine how light behaves once it crosses the event horizon of a black hole.

Presumably, between the event horizon and the singularity, there is a fair amount of space for matter to be in once it has crossed the event horizon but has not yet reached the center of gravity.

If, the escape velocity past the event horizon is greater than the speed of light, does this mean that once light enters the event horizon it should be traveling toward gravities center faster than the speed it moves when outside a black hole? To be clear, I am not suggesting matter can exceed the speed of light, I am asking if light can exceed our current observations for how fast it can move, once it is being acted upon by gravity so strong, the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light?

Another question that springs to mind, if I could hypothetically descend to the center of a black hole, once I cross the event horizon, would I not just see a series of event horizons at each layer between the first EH and the center of the black hole? The reason I imagine this being the case, is that if at the event horizon, light cannot escape, then beyond the event horizon those conditions should remain in place, in such a way that each layer past the EH also has an escape velocity exceeding the speed of light.

Does this mean that the center of the black hole will be incredibly bright due to it being a congregation point for photons arriving at it in all directions? Even though outside the event horizon, this light will never be seen again?

How hot and bright should it be at the center of a black hole?

Disclaimer: these are just random questions that pop up for me from time to time. I am not saying I definitively believe my hypotheses, but if I've gotten confused about something somewhere, I want to know about it. I'm just a philosopher, so I defer to my colleagues in the field of physics in this.

If it at all helps, the best way to describe simply what I am imagining, is black holes as Russian Matryoshka dolls. Layers of black looking event horizons all the way to the center of the black hole. Where instead of the smallest doll, is a point of extremely bright light and intense heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
The event horizon of a black hole is special because it is "stationary" (as seen by an external observer). But you are passing through event horizons all the time. The spatial universe as you see it at this moment in time ... NOW!... is an event horizon. Event's on one side (after that "Now") cannot causally effect events on the other side (before the "Now"). (This is, btw, a spatially oriented event horizon.)

More appropriately the future light cone of an event, say a flashbulb going off (marked by the expanding sphere of light) is a null event horizon. As before events inside that future light-cone can't causally affect event beyond it. That would imply FTL causality which is logically equivalent to backward-in-time causality according to relativity. (There's a frame of reference of a moving observer which would see the 2nd of your FTL sequence of events as occurring earlier than the 1st. Two such in opposite directions could ping a signal back into your past, say telling you to buy-buy-buy TSLA stocks!)

The black hole's event horizon is just such a null horizon. It is like a light cone except the cone shape has been bent by gravity into a cylinder. (from outside the length of the cylinder is time. It is a 3-cylinder in 4 space-time dimensions so instead of a circular cross section it has a spherical one, the surface of the BH's event horizon. The same goes with those light cones, 1 extra dimension in the round direction. With the cone we see an expanding sphere, with the BH a stationary sphere as time passes.)

So photon's crossing a black hole's event horizon are no different than photons passing a wave from the flash bulb, or the points in space-time that would have been the wave if you only imagine it going off. Every event at every point in space at every instant in time has a future light-cone and we as well as all other objects are constantly passing through these as time ticks away.

Now the interesting bit is what goes on inside. The inside of a black hole has the radial and t-axis reversed. The geometry is that of a collapsing cylindrical universe. When you entered the BH event horizon from the outside corresponds to where along the length of the cylindrical universe you appear inside. If you froze time you could move around in 2 directions and return where you started or move along the third direction and meet others who fell in earlier or later. But the "radius" is collapsing at the speed of light and so you will soon feel the squeeze. It is also stretching so you are being pulled apart along the long direction by tidal forces. An unpleasant ending to say the least.

Conceivably one could find a BH with event horizon say 100 light years radius and you'd be OK inside for a similar length of time before things got dicey,... but don't start a family!