View Single Post
ghwellsjr
Feb18-12, 03:17 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,521
Quote Quote by digi99 View Post
If I don't believe in time dilation...
If you don't believe in time dilation, then why are you trying to explain it with just length contraction?
In both cases the clock has the same rate but specifies a different time because its light path is shorter.
How can a clock have the same rate yet specify a different time? Don't you understand that an observer traveling with the clock will use the flashes of light bouncing off a mirror as a basis for time? If he has two clocks at right angles to each other and the light bounces at a different rate for one of them than for the other one, then he's going to have a device that will detect absolute motion. Is that what you are promoting? And it doesn't matter if it is a light clock--any clock will behave the same way.
But you can also ask, why can I explain in the moving direction with length contraction and so a shorter meter (1/γ) the same time 1/γ.t with and without time dilation (Lorentz) ?
If light only has to travel a shorter distance, wouldn't that mean the clock was ticking more rapidly?
Just as you always say "you need a clock to measure time", so I say "you need a ruler to measure a distance" ...
I didn't say either one of those things--Einstein did. And you should read what he wrote and try to understand it and believe it instead of trying to work these things out on your own.

Why don't you start with his 1905 paper introducing Special Relativity? In section 1, you will see where he talked about defining distance with a rigid ruler:
If a material point is at rest relatively to this system of co-ordinates, its position can be defined relatively thereto by the employment of rigid standards of measurement and the methods of Euclidean geometry, and can be expressed in Cartesian co-ordinates.
Following that, he goes on to talk about the definition of time, both local and remote.

I really don't want to discuss your personal ideas about these things but I would be happy to help you understand what Einstein said about them. Do you want to give up on trying to explain these things better than Einstein did and learn what he had to say?