View Single Post
JDoolin
Feb26-12, 02:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 706
Quote Quote by ghwellsjr View Post
A person in the stadium is not concerned with a reference frame and it doesn't matter what reference frame we use to analyze what he sees. All reference frames will agree on what he sees, even the muon's frame. If you pick the muon's frame, you will just see a bunch of weird coordinates that you will then have to reinterpret to determine what someone in the stadium actually sees.

Now if you meant watching a football game from the rest frame of a muon, then you will have to start eons ago and far away and continue to eons in the future and all you will see is a pinpoint of blue-shifted light that then eventually gets large and then you have to look backwards and watch the rest of the game as a pinpoint of red-shifted light. A frame doesn't let observers see things that "we" can see as a result of assigning coordinates to distant events from an observer in the frame.

But if you meant watching the game as a muon would see it, then there won't be much to see since the muon doesn't last very long.
I realize now, there are a couple different definitions to the word "preferred."

(1) to put before something or someone else in one's liking, opinion, etc.; like better
(2) to give preference or priority to

You are absolutely right by definition 2, there is no reason to prioritize one reference frame over another. Namely because all reference frames are equally valid.

However, I was thinking of the more "opinion" version of preferred (definition 2). As in, most people would prefer to watch a football game in the rest-frame of the football stadium, as opposed to the rest frame of some muon traveling past the stadium at near the speed of light.

Your statement above: " If you pick the muon's frame, you will just see a bunch of weird coordinates that you will then have to reinterpret to determine what someone in the stadium actually sees." is confusing, though. That actually does sound like something out of "The Matrix." ;)

I don't know if you've seen this movie, but there are scenes in the movie, where mathematical symbols are more-or-less falling from the sky like rain, and there were parts of the movie where they really did "just see a bunch of weird coordinates."

I'm sure that's not what you meant, though.