View Single Post
chill_factor
Mar5-12, 04:37 PM
P: 897
Quote Quote by intwo View Post
Students often characterize textbooks as difficult when (a) they do not invest sufficient time into learning the material or (b) they do not invest sufficient time into reviewing the prerequisite material.

I recommend that you review the prerequisite material over the summer. When your course begins, attend every lecture, read the chapters multiple times, and meet with your teacher regularly to clarify and/or fortify the concepts.
that's not necessarily true. I heard Arfken does not have solutions to the problems. That is a major negative. There are books like that with very few solutions, few examples, etc. All these factors make it much more difficult to learn from, than a book that has a solutions manual, numerous worked examples, etc.

Also, some books have typographic errors, small and/or hard to read fonts, or bad organization.

Quote Quote by bcbwilla View Post
Grab a bunch of books from the library and see which one "clicks" the best. I always do that, even if the assigned book is good. Sometimes if just helps hearing a different author explain it, or to read topics presented in slightly different orders.
Thank you, that's what I have in mind now. Would you consider "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by Riley a good mathematical physics text to study from? The major plus is it has an answer book for every odd problem and numerous examples.

In addition, what would you recommend for a readable graduate level quantum mechanics text that has numerous examples and a solutions page at the least?