How can I properly study Information Systems without adequate resources?

In summary: This summary is about the author's experience with IT projects. In summary, the author describes how he put together an estimate for a project that was much larger than originally planned. He was then fired from the project.
shivajikobardan
IS stands for information system.
here's the syllabus-: https://ioesolutions.esign.com.np/contents/information-systems-ct-751

here's the notes that are available for this subject-: https://ioesolutions.esign.com.np/notes/text-notes/information-systems-ct-751and there is 1 badly written book.. I am getting headache after headache trying to understand stuffs. I know this subject isn't that hard like we studied in past 4 years of our engineering degree which were conceptual and took days to understand. but lack of resources in this subject is giving me headache. I want to learn it properly. How do I do it when there are no resources to learn it.1) Those who graduated during 80s and 90s heck even 2000s, how did you study just from few sources? Any method you followed?

For example currently I am learning this topic-:
1646212255434.png

If you google you will find nth. There are no reference books given for this subject. as I said all I have is 1 book that is low quality, low standard book. Its first edition came in 2019 ...Rest you decide.
And it is badly written I can't understand a single word written in it(Most)..

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what is the conceptual problem here. To a software developer an IT system is code, whether bespoke or off-the-shelf. To infrastructure support and operations staff, its a bunch of hardware and networking resources. To end users It's something that helps them do their job. To corporate management It's an asset or investment.

Also, IT systems change over time, so the big picture involves an aspect of evolution and replacement.

That's a simplistic analysis, in any case.

This course, I believe, requires that you understand IT systems from this wider perspective.

It doesn't suit everyone. Some people are happier doing a purely technical job, whether that's cutting code or network trouble shooting. But, if you want to progress to IT management roles in your career, then you need a wider perspective.

Likes hutchphd
Find some blind men and an elephant?

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
Re Change Management of IT systems, here is an anecdote.

When I was working in IT I was given the task of upgrading a certain system. The plans had been put together by the infrastructure division, who saw it as simply replacing a client-server application with a more up-to-date web-technology application. The budget was £1 million.

The system was the core system for a large organisation and had 5,000 end users. And not occasional users, but users for whom it was "mission critical". And it had interfaces to multiple other major systems.

The plans envisaged minimal user acceptance testing and no user training. Not to mention that the system had a year to eighteen months of critical functional changes in the pipeline.

In other words, it had been planned like giving the users a new version of Outlook, say.

I put together an internal document that estimated the project at £10 million - assuming we could get end-user agreement to the project in the first place.

The programme director was so horrified that she threw me off the project.

Anyway, eventually the home truths sunk in and a full team was brought into plan the upgrade for what it was: a major upgrade to a mission critical system. The final budget was £32 million, at which point the project was scrapped.

The other funny story was when I first asked the infrastructure team to estimate how long they thought the project would take. I was expecting 3-6 months, or something like that. Their answer was 5-6 hours!

• Haha
Likes hutchphd

1. What is an information system?

An information system is a collection of hardware, software, and data that work together to process, store, and communicate information. It includes both the technology and the people who use it to manage and analyze data for decision-making.

2. What are the benefits of studying information systems?

Studying information systems can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, database management, systems development, and cybersecurity. It also provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills that are valuable in any industry.

3. What skills are necessary for studying information systems?

Some important skills for studying information systems include technical proficiency in computer hardware and software, data analysis and management, project management, and communication. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of business processes and strategies.

4. What are some common courses in an information systems program?

Common courses in an information systems program may include database management, programming, systems analysis and design, data analytics, project management, and information security. Other courses may focus on specific areas such as e-commerce, business intelligence, or mobile technologies.

5. How does studying information systems relate to other fields of study?

Studying information systems can complement and enhance other fields of study, such as business, computer science, engineering, and healthcare. Information systems are used in various industries and understanding how to effectively use and manage them can be beneficial in any career path.