View Single Post
upgrade3
Mar6-12, 05:06 PM
P: 9
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Please read the thread that I linked. There are many pages of useful information there, and it would be counterproductive to try to duplicate that info here. If you want to add questions to that thread, they will be preserved so that others can benefit from the advice that you get (the thread is Sticky).
I Will read through this in the morning when my mind is fresh thanks for the link.

Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
A 2x barlow should solve most of your planetary viewing issues. An f5 scope is not ideal for planetary viewing, as already noted, but, the wide field views will be much more appreciated when you move on to deep sky objects. A 2x barlow with a 9mm ep will get you to about 150x, compared to the 76x you are currently getting. The practical magnification limit for your scope is about 250x and even that much magnification will rarely be usable save when conditions are outstanding [~ half a dozen times a year in most locations]. Under average conditions, 150x is about the maximum useful magnification with your scope. The plus part of barlowing vs buying a shorter fl eyepiece is eye relief - which is pretty bad in most ep's under about 6mm. The downside of a barlow is you lose some light due to the extra lens elements. Planets are fairly bright though so this should not be much of an issue.
Right i will try a 2x Barlow lens then but i don't understand why they say its very good for planetary veiwing and deep sky objects if you check the website i linked in my first post it clearly states its capable of seeing many thing it has apparently over 4000 objects programmed into its database, surely celestron couldnt lie about all this ?? also out of curiosity who would u guys say is the best manufacturer of telescopes ?

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Unfortunately I think you have too high of an expectation for viewing astronomical objects. Your view of Jupiter is about average from an amateur telescope. Currently Jupiter is nearing conjunction, which means that it is nearing the same part of the sky as the Sun is in. In a month or two it will be on the opposite side of the Sun as Earth is and will not be visible. This means that we are currently much further away from it than we were back in October when Jupiter was at opposition, which means that it is opposite the Sun in the sky, and hence at it's closest approach to Earth. The result is that Jupiter appears smaller and dimmer now than it does at opposition. But don't worry, in about 6 months Jupiter will be bigger and brighter and will be approaching opposition again. You're bound to get some good views even with your scope. I'd personally recommend getting a 2x barlow just so that you don't have to pear through the 9x with it's much smaller eye relief.

Also, if you want to view galaxies then realize that you are BARELY going to be able to make any of them out with any size amateur scope that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. And at best they will look like fuzzy objects. Your view will also vary greatly depending on how much light pollution is at your observation site. If you near a large city then the only things you will be able to see clearly will be the Moon and Planets, and a few of the brightest deep sky objects, such as Andromeda and a few star clusters.

Also, do you know how a telescope works? Such as how to determine the magnification a setup will give you?
thanks for all the info and i understand that telescopes work by how much light they intake and how long the tube is and how wide determine different aspects of what you can view but im still very new to this ive always loved astrology but im new to using a telescope and its very complicated the first time round nobody i kno knows a thing about them and theres no shops near me so i cant go in and ask anybody, its very frustrating you guys have helped more than anyone so far, id also like to find what accessories i can buy for my telescope without ordering from celestron website obviously i could get them cheaper from amazon or ebay trouble is i have no idea where to look for lenses and filters that could fit my telescope? if someone could explain in detail lenses and all aspects of a telescope that would greatly help me furthermore i would greatly appreciate it.