Upgrading my telescope, need advice.

In summary, the conversation revolves around upgrading a telescope for better deep sky object viewing. It is recommended to get a 6 inch or larger scope for improved detail, with a motorized mount available for around $400-$500. However, larger scopes can be more expensive and may require a more expensive mount. It is also advised to have realistic expectations for what can be seen with a telescope.
Vorde
For some years I have had an orion skyquest 4.5 inch reflecting telescope that I received as a gift some years ago. I have recently gotten back into astronomy and have discovered that my current telescope isn't quite as powerful as I would like.

Does anyone know what size mirror would be appropriate for viewing deep sky objects (galaxies, nebulas) with some level of detail, my current telescope can only let me see a blur in the shape of the galaxy and then only on the closest galaxies, and I am hoping to upgrade to something with much more detail.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe at least a 6 in scope would be your best choice. Overall bigger is better, but it really depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can get a 10 inch Newtonian on a Dobson mount for a couple hundred, while my 10 inch Cass-Newtonian on its computer controlled equitorial mount was $1300. And I can't even see any galaxies other than the core of Andromeda unless I use my imager. But I am in a light polluted area, so your area might be different.

A 6 inch scope will have about 80%-90% more light gathering than your 4.5 inch one, so that already is a huge improvement.

I live in the country which probably explains the difference. Are there any telescopes between 6-10 inches with motorized mounts (just compensating for the rotation of the earth) in the range of 400-500$, or is that more expensive.

Sure. Just head on over to telescopes.com and have a look there. You should be able to find something. I got a 5.1 inch Meade on a computer control Alt-Az mount for about 250 bucks.

An 8" primary is the best price point for most people. Anything bigger is a headache and anything smaller leaves you feeling inadequate. Don't get me wrong, I love big tubes, but, they are heavy and need monster mounts - making a good rig expensive. A decent goto mount for a 10+ tube costs more than the tube. The factory mounts that come with mass produced 10"+ tubes are inadequate, IMO.

Thank you guys, I think I am going for an 8 inch and maybe a 10 inch if I can find a cheap one.

Vorde said:
Thank you guys, I think I am going for an 8 inch and maybe a 10 inch if I can find a cheap one.

Good luck! Also, just be aware of what you'll be expecting to see. Don't expect the kind of full color images you'll see online -- the only way to get these is to do precise astrophotography, which is an art unto itself. Certainly there are many deep sky objects which are beautiful to look at with the good old fashioned eyeball, but long exposure photographs really bring out most of the cool features.

1. How do I determine what type of telescope to upgrade to?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a new telescope, such as your budget, the type of objects you want to observe, and the level of experience you have with telescopes. It's best to do some research and read reviews to find a telescope that fits your specific needs.

2. Should I upgrade to a bigger telescope or a more advanced one?

This depends on what you want to achieve with your telescope. If you want to view fainter and more distant objects, a bigger telescope with a larger aperture would be beneficial. If you want to take astrophotography to the next level, a more advanced telescope with specialized features may be a better option.

3. Is it worth upgrading my telescope or should I just buy a new one?

This ultimately depends on your current telescope's quality and how much you are looking to upgrade. If your telescope is of good quality and just needs a few new accessories or upgrades, it may be more cost-effective to upgrade. However, if your current telescope is low-quality or outdated, it may be better to invest in a new one.

4. What features should I look for in an upgraded telescope?

Some important features to consider are the aperture size, type of mount, and focal length. You may also want to look for additional features like computerized tracking, GoTo capabilities, and a sturdy tripod. It's important to prioritize which features are most important to you.

5. How can I ensure I'm getting the best deal on an upgraded telescope?

It's always a good idea to shop around and compare prices from different retailers. You can also look for sales or discounts, especially during holiday seasons. Additionally, consider purchasing from a reputable telescope company to ensure you are getting a quality product and good customer service.