View Single Post
Bobdemaths
Jan23-13, 03:42 AM
P: 3
Hi,

Suppose you have a collection of fields [itex]\phi^i (t,x)[/itex] depending on time and on 1 space variable, for [itex]i=1,...,N[/itex]. Its dynamics is defined by the Lagrangian

[itex]L=\frac{1}{2} g_{ij}(\phi) (\dot{\phi}^i \dot{\phi}^j - \phi ' ^i \phi ' ^j ) + b_{ij}(\phi) \dot{\phi}^i \phi ' ^j [/itex]

where [itex]\dot{\phi}^i [/itex] denotes the time derivative of the field [itex]{\phi}^i [/itex] and [itex]\phi ' ^i [/itex] denotes its space derivative, and where [itex]g_{ij}(\phi) [/itex] is a symmetric tensor, and [itex]b_{ij}(\phi) [/itex] an antisymmetric tensor.

One easily computes that the momenta conjugate to the fields [itex]\phi^i (t,x)[/itex] are [itex]\pi_i = A_i + b_{ij} \phi ' ^j[/itex], where [itex]A_i = g_{ij} \dot{\phi}^j [/itex].

Now I would like to show that the (equal time) Poisson Bracket [itex]\{A_i,A_j\}[/itex] is
[itex]\{A_i(t,x),A_j(t,y)\}=(\partial_i b_{jk} + \partial_j b_{ki} + \partial_k b_{ij} ) \phi ' ^k \delta(x-y)[/itex]
using the canonical relation [itex]\{\phi ^i(t,x) , \pi_j (t,y)\}=\delta_j^i \delta(x-y)[/itex].

I tried to write [itex]A_i = \pi_i - b_{ij} \phi ' ^j[/itex], and then use [itex]\{\phi ' ^i(t,x) , \pi_j (t,y)\}=\delta_j^i \delta ' (x-y)[/itex]. But then I can't get rid of the [itex]\delta ' [/itex], and I don't get the [itex]\partial_k b_{ij} [/itex] term.

Am I mistaken somewhere ? Thank you in advance !
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays