Stress tensor from action in Landau-Ginzburg field theory

In summary, the energy-momentum tensor is the functional derivative of the action w.r.t. the metric, and can be obtained from the classical action by differentiating with respect to the metric. The stress tensor for a Landau-Ginzburg theory can be obtained from the Hamiltonian density by differentiating with respect to ##g_{ij}##, with ##i,j \in \{1,2,3\}##.
ChrisPhys
I would appreciate any help with the following question:

I know that for relativistic field theories, the stress tensor can be obtained from the classical action by differentiating with respect to the metric, as is explained on the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress–energy_tensor
If I understand this correctly, the energy-momentum tensor is defined as the functional derivative of the action w.r.t. the metric,

##T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}} \frac{\sqrt{-g}\delta \mathcal L}{\delta g_{\mu\nu}}.##

Here ##g_{\mu \nu}## is the standard Minkowski metric in the case of special relativity. (I need to add here that my relativity background is not good, and that I don't understand this derivation very well).

I was wondering whether one can do this for a Landau-Ginzburg theory for some (scalar) order parameter field. In this case the stress tensor is defined in terms of partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian density,

##T_{ij} = \delta_{ij} \mathcal H - \partial_i \frac{\partial \mathcal H}{\partial (\partial_j \phi)}##

where the Hamiltonian is

##H = \int d\vec x \mathcal H.##

E.g. consider a simple Gaussian Hamiltonian

##H = \int d\vec x \; [\nabla \phi(\vec x)]^2##

whose corresponding stress tensor is

## T_{ij} = \frac 1 2 \delta_{ij} \nabla^2 \phi - \partial_i \phi \partial_j \phi. ##

Could anyone perhaps help me to show in detail how (or whether) I can obtain this stress tensor from the Hamiltonian by differentiation in the case of the Gaussian Hamiltonian with respect to the Euclidean metric? In particular, how do I obtain the relative minus sign between the two terms in the stress tensor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is important that the ##\sqrt{-g}## factor is under the functional derivative,
$$T^{\mu \nu}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}} \frac{\delta}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} \left (\sqrt{-g} \mathcal{L} \right ).$$
This implies that for the potential part of the Lagrangian density
$$\mathcal{L}_I=-V(\phi)$$
you get the contribution
$$T_I^{\mu \nu} =-V(\phi) \frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}} \frac{\delta}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} \left (\sqrt{-g} \right ) =+g^{\mu \nu} V(\phi),$$
because
$$\frac{\delta \sqrt{-g}}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}} =-\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{-g}} \frac{\delta g}{\delta g_{\mu \nu}}=-\frac{\sqrt{-g}}{2} g^{\mu \nu},$$
because ##g^{\mu \nu}## is the inverse of ##g_{\mu \nu}##.

Note that all this is given in terms of the east-coast metric with mostly positive signs when in diagonal form.

Hi @vanhees71

Thanks for your reply. Does your statement also hold for a Euclidean metric? Specifically, the problem I'm considering is on 3-D Euclidean space, where I guess all factors of ##\sqrt g ## are trivial, so my hamiltonian is

##H = \int d\vec x [\nabla \phi (\vec x) ] ^2 ##,

with ##\vec x \in \mathbb R ^3##. So what I am trying to figure out is whether I can retrieve the stress tensor ##T_{ij}## that I wrote down in my first post from this hamiltonian by differentiating with respect to ##g_{ij} = \delta_{ij}##, with ##i,j \in \{1,2,3\}##.

I suppose one could write for my hamiltonian that with ##g_{ij} = \delta_{ij}## that

##H = \int d\vec x \sqrt{g} [\nabla \phi (\vec x) ] ^2 = \int d\vec x \sqrt{g} g^{ij} (\nabla \phi)_i ( \nabla \phi)_j , ##

i.e.,

## T_{ij} \propto \frac{\delta }{\delta g_{ij}} \big( \sqrt{g} g^{ij} (\nabla \phi)_i ( \nabla \phi)_j \big). ##

If I apply the product rule to the derivative, I guess I am quite close to obtaining ##T_{ij}## from my first post, but formally I'm not quite sure how to fill in the steps... Any help with this last bit would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Here the metric is varied. So it doesn't make a difference whether you have a Euclidean (Wick rotated) metric or the original space-time metric.

Thanks @vanhees71

So my problem reduces to evaluating two functional derivatives:

1)
## \frac{\delta \sqrt{g} }{\delta g_{ij}} ##, which you evaluate above. Could you explain your result to me?

2)
## \frac{\delta g_{ij} }{\delta g_{ij}} ## which I assume is equal to 1 or otherwise some functional delta-function?

Sorry, I somehow have no intuition for differentiating a functional of the metric with respect to the metric.

These results combined should give what I am looking for :)

Thanks again.

This is a bit tedious since you derive with respect to two-indexed quantities, and one has to be careful with the indices, and how to understand it. You have to keep in mind that you should consider, e.g., the two quantities ##g_{12}## and ##g_{21}## as independent although of course the general metric is symmetric. So the formula you want is
$$\frac{\delta g_{\mu \nu}}{\delta g_{\rho \sigma}}=\delta_{\mu}^{\rho} \delta_{\nu}^{\sigma}.$$

What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of stress, or forces acting on a material, at a particular point in space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of materials under various conditions.

What is Landau-Ginzburg field theory?

Landau-Ginzburg field theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of systems with continuous symmetries, such as phase transitions in materials. It is commonly used in condensed matter physics and statistical mechanics.

How is the stress tensor calculated from the action in Landau-Ginzburg field theory?

The stress tensor can be calculated from the action in Landau-Ginzburg field theory using the Noether theorem. This theorem relates symmetries in a system (such as continuous symmetries in Landau-Ginzburg theory) to conserved quantities, in this case the stress tensor.

What is the physical significance of the stress tensor in Landau-Ginzburg field theory?

The stress tensor in Landau-Ginzburg field theory represents the distribution of forces within a material, and can be used to analyze its behavior under different conditions. It is a fundamental quantity in understanding the properties of condensed matter systems.

What are some applications of the stress tensor in Landau-Ginzburg field theory?

The stress tensor is used in various fields, including materials science, condensed matter physics, and engineering, to study the behavior of materials under different conditions. It is also used in simulations and models of phase transitions and critical phenomena.