View Single Post
dkotschessaa
Feb14-13, 07:26 AM
P: 590
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
One thing that I wanted to add regarding perception. I've talked with quite a few people who said they went on the Atkins diet and lost some weight, but nothing dramatic. After a bit of interrogation, it was obvious that they had never gone into ketosis. While that allegedly is an alternate path, all of my dramatic losses, which ocurred during several rounds of intense dieting over a period of a year, were associated with strong ketosis. And there is no missing this. Your mouth gets as dry as a desert and taste like you've been chewing on iron. You can get test strips for this but you really can't miss the signs.

During these periods of extreme weight loss [~ 5+ pounds per week], I was consuming 25 grams of carbs a day, and mainly from raw vegetables. Three days of that and you WILL be ketogenic. But it takes a few days to deplete the glycogen reserves in your body.
It's true, and most of the people that say that they are on Atkins are not at all. They haven't studied the diet. They just start ordering double whoppers with bacon and taking the bread off and saying "yeeeeup! I'm on atkins."

-Dave K