View Single Post
motai
Jul21-05, 02:38 PM
P: 496
Quote Quote by Nomy-the wanderer
Well there's nothing wrong with being slow, but if u did the same stuff correctly in a shorter time, than that gives u more credit...That's noly normal, we were running in a competition and u were slower and i was faster and i was aware of it and used it and arrived first, that would give me the medal, no??
What I'm trying to say is that there is more to advanced subjects such as mathematics or physics than just speed alone. It isn't the primary factor in determining the success level of a student. I would rather rate level of understanding and knowledge, and the interest that the student has in such topics, as a primary determinant of a student's ability to succeed.

That was what i'm talking about, the tests that need time...Others in school needed information not much thinking there and it was a question of typing fast! But at college it's a different level there, there r still those running tests, but there r others that requires deep thinking and and need u to slow down, and time is never sufficient, if u solved all ur problems in that tests quickly and accurately with a small error percentage let's say 1% , u r goin to get higher grades from the one who was a bit slower and didn't complete 10 % of the test...
True, I'm not trying to debate the usefulness of the small error percentage when going at a faster pace. I'm simply trying to determine whether methodical thinking can be disadvantageous from an educational viewpoint. It is clear that methodical thinking is a great advantage for working professionals who cannot afford, either on behalf of themselves, or the company/government/organizations they are working for, to mess up with their calculations. Even a 1% error percentage may be enough to destroy months of painstaking work. So if caution is required in the professional field, why is it left to wild abandon in (most) testing situations? (Disregarding the few tests that need a methodical approach to finish problems

In a professional community, speed is needed in some critical positions, in general, and i'm not talking about a mathematician who's trying to figure out some new theory or a physicist because these people have all the time in the world...

But if u were an engineer working with real world applications and a jam happened, it'd be much better if u had quicker reflexes...Of course u need to be accurate but i'm giving an error percentage just to give speed the benefit of the doubt...Fast thinkers get used to it, i learned that i should concentrate better if i didn't want to make stupid mistakes, concentration would help me better than reading a question 10 times with an absent mind, and still i'd get the same result, and that's how u fix ur problem.
I understand where you are coming from, obviously it may be necessary for engineers if they are working on a fixed time schedule and have a lot of work to do. Concentration, however, parallels the thought processes that I originally mentioned in the first post. While concentration and the actual thought process closely follow together, even the most ably concentrated person, who is totally fixated on getting his/her task done, can still accomplish tasks slower or faster than his/her peers. Perhaps thinks just "click" faster for those faster-minded individuals?

But in the end it's kinda relative, depends on what u do, and also depends on the other candidates...One mroe thing left to add, being faster is an intellectual gift, it's important not to waste it. But that doesn't mean that u r not intelligent if u were slow.
Alas, I have seen this as well. People who would make excellent scientists end up going into other fields that don't utilize their strengths. I'm not saying that it is a "waste" per se, but it is a little disappointing.

I still wonder why swift calculations seem to be more desired in the educational community than a methodical, accurate approach. I mean, shouldn't scientists be given the time to think things through? Modern computers can swiftly crunch algorithms at several billion operations per second...