Should I continue my PhD? Advice needed

In summary, the person is a dual Msc/PhD student in Physics who has recently been struggling with self-doubt and uncertainty about job prospects in the field. They had a strong interest in high energy physics since high school but ended up studying engineering physics due to financial constraints. They then completed a Master's degree abroad and graduated with honors while publishing scientific papers. They decided to pursue a PhD in Physics, but now have concerns about the job market and the potential for success. They enjoy research and the flexibility of graduate school, but worry about sacrificing their 20's and early 30's for a career with no guarantee of success. The person asking for advice is not a PhD student themselves, but believes that industry values those with
CharlieCW
Hello. I'm currently beginning my 2nd semester of a dual Msc/PhD in Physics in the top university of my home country, but lately I've been struggling with self-doubt and uncertainty about the job prospects and whether research is actually for me.

To give you some background. Since I was in high school wanted to do my undergraduate studies in high energy physics, but since the option wasn't available in my city and I didn't have the money to move to another place (student loans don't exist in my country) I enrolled in engineering physics at my state university. Being one of the top 5 students, I was invited to due a joint Bsc/MEng degree abroad in France, so I accepted since I was excited to try new things and get the chance to live in Europe for two years. I sucessfully completed my Master's courses abroad, came back to finish my Bsc, and graduated with the highest possible honors while publishing 3 scientific papers on the run. Therefore, doing a PhD in Physics seemed like the natural continuation of my career, and everyone was expecting me to go and become a renowned scientist in my discipline one day.

While I got accepted to several joint Msc/PhD programs abroad (I discarded the US since I didn't have the money to pay for the GRE examinations at the time), due to some delays from my university I wasn't able to apply for funding, thus to avoid delays I enrolled in one of the top programs in my country.

However, over time I got more and more afraid of the potential job prospects of a career in Physics, after witnessing the vast amount talented PhD students and the lack of tenure positions (especially after the science budget took some cuts). I have met many PhD graduates who are still struggling to find a job in their late 30's, and even in an extreme case one who's literally homeless even after doing two post-docs abroad. Moreover, PhD graduates who go into the industry, at least in physics, have little to no advantage over those who have a Master's degree or a PhD in Engineering.

I do love Physics and do enjoy research, and I like to challenge myself with new ideas and engage in intellectual discussions with people here. Moreover, compared to entry-level jobs which are +60 hours/week here (which pay roughly the same as my scholarship), grad school is very flexible and allows me to take some time for some of my hobbies. Nevertheless, when I think that I'll finish my PhD when I'm 30 years old, plus 2-4 years of post-docs if I'm lucky, I'm afraid that if I don't manage to land an academic position I'll basically be applying for an entry-level job in the industry by my mid 30's, when I could apply now for an entry-level job (I've received several offers due to my MEng) and in 5 years move the ladder or even find a job abroad back in Europe or the US. I'm not sure if my love for Physics is so strong as to sacrifice my 20's and early 30's in a career where there's no guarantee of success.

Could you give me your advice or opinions? It would be nice also to hear opinions of PhD students in Latin American countries.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not PhD material so can't really 'walk in your shoes'

i can tell you -
- the best programmer i ever knew had a PhD in Physics .
He had interesting work in the 1970's , automating satellite tracking for NASA and mapping Earth's gravitational field, i think in preparation for GPS.
His code set the bar for being efficient and bug-free.
He seemed happy and interested in the work he was doing.
Some of it was pretty secret weapons research.

So my opinion is
Industry needs and welcomes people who can excel.
A PhD says you are capable of that and would open a lot of doors for you should you decide to go into industry.

CharlieCW said:
Could you give me your advice or opinions?
I can offer two thoughts:

1. You're going to turn 40 irrespective of whether you get a PhD en route.

2. When we reach 60, what we regret is the things we didn't do.

old jim

Likes binbagsss, gleem and berkeman
jim hardy said:
I'm not PhD material so can't really 'walk in your shoes'

i can tell you -
- the best programmer i ever knew had a PhD in Physics .
He had interesting work in the 1970's , automating satellite tracking for NASA and mapping Earth's gravitational field, i think in preparation for GPS.
His code set the bar for being efficient and bug-free.
He seemed happy and interested in the work he was doing.
Some of it was pretty secret weapons research.

So my opinion is
Industry needs and welcomes people who can excel.
A PhD says you are capable of that and would open a lot of doors for you should you decide to go into industry.

I never thought about it that way, but you've got a really interesting point. You're right, the fact of finishing a PhD says a lot about the type of person, especially in undeveloped countries where less than 1% of the population manage to get one.

I can offer two thoughts:

1. You're going to turn 40 irrespective of whether you get a PhD en route.

2. When we reach 60, what we regret is the things we didn't do.

old jim

Also never thought about that perspective, but I've indeed heard about regretting about things one didn't do in life. I will give more thought on this, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy and berkeman
You're certainly not the first student to struggle with this. For the purposes of making these kinds of decisions, it's commonly recommended to assume the probability of getting an academic position with your PhD is on the order of 1/10. So it's much more probable that you'll end up leaving academia than it is you'll remain in it.

Pursuing the PhD is a good idea if that's something you really want to be doing. But don't doing it blindly. I think the real key is to have an exit strategy. Build up a skill set that will allow you to make a transition into the working world when you leave academia. Having done a master's degree in engineering, it sounds like you've already done some work on this. Beyond that, it's also important to weigh the opportunity cost. If you started a career-type job now, you'd have a career-type income - allowing you to pay off loans, build up savings, pay off a mortgage, etc. The PhD will delay that by several years. So, do some math and figure out what that means.

Choppy said:
You're certainly not the first student to struggle with this. For the purposes of making these kinds of decisions, it's commonly recommended to assume the probability of getting an academic position with your PhD is on the order of 1/10. So it's much more probable that you'll end up leaving academia than it is you'll remain in it.

Pursuing the PhD is a good idea if that's something you really want to be doing. But don't doing it blindly. I think the real key is to have an exit strategy. Build up a skill set that will allow you to make a transition into the working world when you leave academia. Having done a master's degree in engineering, it sounds like you've already done some work on this. Beyond that, it's also important to weigh the opportunity cost. If you started a career-type job now, you'd have a career-type income - allowing you to pay off loans, build up savings, pay off a mortgage, etc. The PhD will delay that by several years. So, do some math and figure out what that means.

I have actually considered transitioning into the world of Machine Learning and Data Science as a second option, seeing that I have a talent for programming and I actually finished my first masters while doing applied maths. This has actually helped me a lot in my research which has a good component of computing, and that's why I received several job offers upon graduation (which I now regret declining).
Fortunately I received scholarships though all my education so I'm completely debt free (I'll do have to refund the current scholarship if I don't finish, but I haven't used the money at all just in case something like this happened). However, you're right about the opportunity costs, as the time inverted on the industry will be delayed by my PhD. I'm considering that, if I'll likely end up working in a private company at the end, I don't think the PhD will be worth in terms of financial stability instead of doing physics as a hobby.

Death and taxes are the only guarantees in this world, a job in academia is a lucky draw for the very best who have connections.

1. Should I continue my PhD even if I am feeling burnt out?

It is important to assess your reasons for feeling burnt out. If it is due to external factors such as a heavy workload or personal issues, it may be worth taking a break and returning to your PhD at a later time. However, if you are feeling burnt out due to a lack of interest or passion for your research, it may be worth reevaluating your goals and considering if a PhD is the right path for you.

2. How do I know if I am making progress in my PhD?

There are several ways to measure progress in a PhD, such as completing milestones set by your advisor, publishing papers, or successfully defending your proposal. It is important to set clear goals and regularly communicate with your advisor to track your progress and make adjustments as needed.

3. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed and unsure during a PhD?

Yes, it is common for PhD students to experience feelings of overwhelm and uncertainty. Pursuing a PhD is a challenging and rigorous process, and it is important to seek support from your advisor, peers, and other resources such as counseling services if needed.

4. How do I decide if a PhD is the right path for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, goals, and motivations before pursuing a PhD. Research the program and potential advisors, talk to current and past PhD students, and think about your long-term career goals. It may also be helpful to gain some research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities to see if it is a good fit for you.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with my PhD?

If you are struggling with your PhD, it is important to communicate with your advisor and seek support from your peers and other resources. It may also be helpful to take breaks, set manageable goals, and prioritize self-care. If you are still struggling, it may be worth considering if a PhD is the right path for you and seeking guidance from a career counselor.