how to be a good designer

by Jin Sen Zhang
Tags: designer
Jin Sen Zhang
Jun26-06, 12:43 PM
P: 8
Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
FredGarvin
Jun26-06, 01:28 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Being a good designer comes with experience and training (mentoring) IMO. Artistic skills have nothing to do with it. You are not talking about being a draftsman, you are talking about a designer. You simply need to be able to convey your ideas.

I'll stop now before I get on the soap box.
brewnog
Jun26-06, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Nothing to do with art. Creativity helps, but it's nothing whatsoever to do with art.

kleinjahr
Jul6-06, 10:21 AM
P: 76

how to be a good designer

First principle,K.I.S.S.
bhagyesh patil
Jul7-06, 10:13 AM
P: 2
Respected sir,
Myself is an instrumentation engineering student, i want some tips related to designing aspects of instrumentation systems....
I will be thankful to u, i u guide me in this direction......

bhagyesh patil.
Clausius2
Jul7-06, 03:37 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,481
A good design engineer for a company is a design engineer who designs cool things BUT saves up money. Your boss will be happy then with you.
Astronuc
Jul7-06, 07:25 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by Jin Sen Zhang
Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?
Are you thinking of industrial design, which is more related to 'art' than engineering.

Raymond Lowey is considered the father of ID?
http://www.raymondloewyfoundation.com/about/index.html

http://www.core77.com/

But there are designers of bridges and large structures, and that is mostly engineering, which as FredGarvin indicated takes experience and training, usually with supervision of a mentor.

Part of the training is the development of an intuitive sense about the product or system being designed, and what engineering and physics principles apply. A good designer needs a broad knowledge of mechanics and materials, and possibly electronics and electrical engineering if the product or system involves electronics or electrical power.

Register to reply