Trends in Trainings on Engineering Standards

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining specific information on the frequency of engineers receiving trainings on standards and certifications set by organizations such as ASME, IEEE, and ASTM. It is mentioned that data on corporate spend on these trainings is likely considered confidential and not all fields of engineering require the use of such standards or certification. The speaker is seeking information on the average training spend for engineers in the industry, but acknowledges that it may be difficult to obtain this information.
anoop_gupta
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand how the corporates are dealing the problem of skill gap in engineering industry and are they focusing on training of their engineers to speed up their learning curve?
Hi,

Could anybody please help me with the following information:

1) Frequency of engineers receiving trainings on standards/competencies set by organizations such as ASME, IEEE, ASTM, etc.? Average number of trainings per engineer per year?

2) Corporates spend per year per engineer on trainings for standard-based certifications and compliances? Is this spend increasing or decreasing and how much has been the year-on-year growth in spend in the last five years? Also, is this spend expected to grow in future? If yes, then how much growth is expected?

3) Key challenges faced by corporates/engineers in maintaining standards compliance, acquiring or retaining certifications, and understanding and applying appropriate standards to designs?

Any help would be of highly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone could produce numbers like that for all corporations in all countries. Companies are likely to consider that data confidential.

Not all fields of engineering require use of such standards or certification of engineers. State of the art software in particular is often years ahead of standards.

anorlunda said:
I don't think anyone could produce numbers like that for all corporations in all countries. Companies are likely to consider that data confidential.

Not all fields of engineering require use of such standards or certification of engineers. State of the art software in particular is often years ahead of standards.
Thanks for replying. I do understand that company-specific data is confidential but I am looking for industry average spend on engineers' training. Many independent research providers publish average annual training spend across employee class based on their survey with industry. However, they do not talk specifically about engineers. Hence, if someone could share the industry average spend based in their knowledge and experience, I would be really grateful. Thanks

1. What are engineering standards?

Engineering standards are a set of guidelines and specifications that are used to ensure consistency, safety, and quality in the design, production, and use of engineering products and services. These standards are developed and maintained by various organizations and are constantly updated to reflect advancements in technology and industry best practices.

2. Why are trainings on engineering standards important?

Trainings on engineering standards are important because they help individuals and organizations stay up-to-date with the latest standards and regulations in their field. This ensures that products and services are designed and produced according to industry best practices, and also helps prevent safety hazards and legal issues.

3. How do trends in trainings on engineering standards change over time?

Trends in trainings on engineering standards change over time as new technologies and advancements are made in various industries. For example, with the rise of renewable energy, there has been an increase in trainings on engineering standards for sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices.

4. Who should attend trainings on engineering standards?

Trainings on engineering standards are beneficial for a wide range of individuals, including engineers, designers, manufacturers, and project managers. It is also important for professionals in other fields, such as construction and healthcare, to be aware of relevant engineering standards that may impact their work.

5. How can organizations ensure their employees are up-to-date with engineering standards?

Organizations can ensure their employees are up-to-date with engineering standards by providing regular trainings and workshops, as well as encouraging employees to participate in industry conferences and seminars. It is also important for organizations to have a system in place for monitoring and implementing any changes or updates to engineering standards.