Tags: cleaner, screen
Share this thread:
chroot
Sep6-06, 07:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
I take it you work for Big Isopropyl, don't you turbo-1?

- Warren
turbo
Sep6-06, 07:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by chroot
I take it you work for Big Isopropyl, don't you turbo-1?

- Warren
No, but Ethanol and Isopropyl are pretty safe for skin contact, and combined with water, the range of solubilities and wetabilities provide a nice range of cleaning properties with little else required. Cleaners do not have to be constructed of X solvent and Y surfactant and z abrasive. Sometimes less is more.
chroot
Sep6-06, 07:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1
No, but Ethanol and Isopropyl are pretty safe for skin contact, and combined with water, the range of solubilities and wetabilities provide a nice range of cleaning properties with little else required. Cleaners do not have to be constructed of X solvent and Y surfactant and z abrasive. Sometimes less is more.
I think you should rebrand some plain isopropyl "Miracle Cleaning Alcohol," mark the price up 1000%, then go on late-night TV, using the exact same sales pitch you just used. You'd be a millionaire in a matter of months.

- Warren
turbo
Sep6-06, 07:32 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
I think you should rebrand some plain isopropyl "Miracle Cleaning Alcohol," mark the price up 1000%, then go on late-night TV, using the exact same sales pitch you just used. You'd be a millionaire in a matter of months.

- Warren
The Shaklee initiative! Regardless, the mixture works really well.
chroot
Sep6-06, 07:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Fools and money are soon to part, yes?

- Warren
turbo
Sep6-06, 07:52 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot

- Warren
Have you tried a solution of isopropil alcohol and water as a cleaning agent? If not, I suggest that you do before denigrating someone with years of practical experience.
Math Is Hard
Sep6-06, 08:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
I think chroot is just commenting that there are many people who wouldn't make the cognitive leap that the solution is just ordinary rubbing alcohol and water that they could mix up themselves. Heck, if it came in a pretty enough bottle I might order it!

And yeah, I went and tried it on my mirror right after I cleaned the laptop and it did a fabulous job. No streaks!
chroot
Sep6-06, 08:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I wasn't denigrating you, turbo-1, I was laughing at the general public who would probably buy your Miracle Cleaning Alcohol like hotcakes.

- Warren
turbo
Sep7-06, 06:06 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by chroot
I wasn't denigrating you, turbo-1, I was laughing at the general public who would probably buy your Miracle Cleaning Alcohol like hotcakes.

- Warren
I'm sorry, Warren. Sometimes, it's tough to read peoples' intentions through these posts, and I should have known that you wouldn't poke fun at people who are trying to be helpful. My wife bought Shaklee cleaners for a while because they were fragrance-free and didn't leave residues, etc. Then when I started working as an optician, I found out what the opticians all know - al solution of isopropyl alcohol and water works really well, cleaning a wide range of junk off lenses without damaging them or the coatings on them. Some coatings can be stripped and re-applied in the typical optician's lab, but not the really expensive anti-reflective coatings.

Again, my apologies for misreading your intent.
larkspur
Sep16-06, 06:17 AM
P: 791
The alcohol solution works great as car windshield washer fluid too.

Register to reply