Does Fluid Spilled into Electronic Device = Dangerous to Use?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, spilling fluids on electronic devices can pose a danger, especially if the device is powered. It is possible for the fluid to get into the internal components and cause a short circuit, potentially damaging or even destroying the device. However, there may be ways to dry out the device and prevent any risk of shock. The type of fluid spilled can also affect the potential danger, with substances like rubbing alcohol not being conductive but still potentially damaging components. It is important to exercise caution and seek professional help if necessary when dealing with spilled fluids on electronic devices.
kyphysics
Some every day examples of what I mean (yes, each has happened to me at some point in life):

a.) soda spilled all over laptop (and the fluid getting "into" the creases/seams/openings of the keyboard
b.) water splashed into my laptop's external speakers (getting into the tiny "holes" of the "speaker cage" - that hard, seemingly metallic-like area that "guards" those large round areas of the speaker...are they called tweeters/woofers? ....)
-------------------------
c.) rubbing alcohol spilled all over a video camera screen (and into the buttons/creases/seams of the "programming" area)

a.) & b.) occurred in my college years (over 5 years ago and I no longer own those devices). I was broke, did not want to replace my stuff (as it'd cost $$$), and just tried to paper towel dry everything. I turned the laptop and speakers upside down to let water/soda drain from them...and soaked that up with a paper towel. They were still functional for a while afterwards with the laptop seemingly having a quick death afterwards (I don't recall the time-frame - I only know it was not immediate and that I could still use it for some time w/o noticeable issues).

c.) happened last night

Question 1: Broadly speaking, are there certain dangers to having fluids spill onto and "into" cracks/seams/openings of an electronic device? Essentially, the fluid does just touch the outer frame, but instead seemingly gets into the computer chip/wiring/circuitry area.

At that point, would/should we throw the device out and just buy a new one? The amount of fluid in my examples a.) and b.) were roughly 2-4 (speakers) and 6-8 (laptop) ounces.

Question 2: For my latest clumsy accident, I got about 1-2 ounces of rubbing alcohol spilled on a baby cam video screen. The side of the screen has some programming buttons (stuff like Zoom/Volume/Options/etc.). A tiny amount - maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 of an ounce of rubbing alcohol got "into" that crevices of those buttons that presumably has some electronic circuitry behind it (although, I'm not sure how far/deep behind it you have to go to get there).

Could this pose some kind of danger? Like could the electronics inside the video screen "fry"? If so, could it emit like radiation that causes cancer if I continue to use it? Might there be other dangers?

Thoughts on this anyone? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Computer science news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
a.) soda spilled all over laptop (and the fluid getting "into" the creases/seams/openings of the keyboard
It is possible that a short could be made with the main power, which is enough to injure you, so yes.

kyphysics said:
b.) water splashed into my laptop's external speakers (getting into the tiny "holes" of the "speaker cage"
Powered or unpowered?
If powered, same as above. If unpowered, then the wattage is generally too low to injure you.

kyphysics said:
c.) rubbing alcohol spilled all over a video camera screen (and into the buttons/creases/seams of the "programming" area)
Rubbing alcohol is not conductive so there is no risk of shock.

kyphysics said:
Question 1: Broadly speaking, are there certain dangers to having fluids spill onto and "into" cracks/seams/openings of an electronic device? Essentially, the fluid does just touch the outer frame, but instead seemingly gets into the computer chip/wiring/circuitry area.
Conceivably, as above.

kyphysics said:
At that point, would/should we throw the device out and just buy a new one?
They can be dried out. That should remove any direct shock risk, although there is no guarantee that the laptop will go back to working order, since short circuit could have fried components.

kyphysics said:
Question 2: For my latest clumsy accident, I got about 1-2 ounces of rubbing alcohol spilled on a baby cam video screen. The side of the screen has some programming buttons (stuff like Zoom/Volume/Options/etc.). A tiny amount - maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 of an ounce of rubbing alcohol got "into" that crevices of those buttons that presumably has some electronic circuitry behind it (although, I'm not sure how far/deep behind it you have to go to get there).
There should be no risk of shock, but rubbing alcohol may eat certain materials. Conceivably, that could damage components if they short. Which means, technically, there is a non-zero chance of shock.

kyphysics said:
Could this pose some kind of danger? Like could the electronics inside the video screen "fry"? If so, could it emit like radiation that causes cancer if I continue to use it? Might there be other dangers?
No radiation, no. There are conceivable concerns about damage to rubber components. One can't really rule out what that might lead to. What if some battery component has its casing dissolved and leaks its contents? (Although, they don't design batteries in easily-dissolvable casings.)

The problem with answering this question is that if you don't know the answer based on your own engineering skills, you also won't know the exceptional cases when it is not safe. But I will say right away, that if you still have an old CRT display, don't play around with it - it has the very serious potential of waking you up in a most hazardous way. In the worst of cases, it could kill you by holding your grip, burning you internally, and arresting your breathing and/or heart beat.

Beyond that, I will say that it would take remarkable circumstances to notice any affect from any USB peripheral device such as a keyboard, mouse, or SSD drive.

If you spill soda on a keyboard, the sugar will be a big problem.

Likes DeBangis21 and russ_watters
.Scott said:
But I will say right away, that if you still have an old CRT display, don't play around with it - it has the very serious potential of waking you up in a most hazardous way. In the worst of cases, it could kill you by holding your grip, burning you internally, and arresting your breathing and/or heart beat.
Yup. And the old ones don't dissipate their charge. Fiddle around with even a dead CRT TV and you could eat 30,000 volts. They taught us how to defuse these in electronics class.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21 and Wrichik Basu
DaveC426913 said:
They can be dried out. That should remove any direct shock risk, although there is no guarantee that the laptop will go back to working order, since short circuit could have fried components.
Interesting. Thanks for all the detailed/thoughtful answers.

w/r/t buying a new one - Would there be some threshold for which you WOULD buy a new one and just throw out the soaked device (even it seems to work still)?

In my case, as noted above, it was a small amount of fluid (probably 6-8 oz. - and not all of that got into the laptop openings, as some stayed on top and was easily wiped).

By contrast, a dormmate of mine of soaked his laptop HUGELY with soda too (like half the bottle fell on it) and he chose to throw it away and not even try to restart it up to see if it'd work. Funnily, he also took it into the campus soccer field area and took a literal baseball bat and bashed it to pieces. Said he was worried it'd still work and some stranger could pick it out of the trash and steal all his data stored on it (maybe blackmail him or something).

That thing was beaten apart literally.

If you mean dangerous to your electronics, then yes.

If you mean dangerous to a user then probably not IF the device meets current product safety standards. This sort of failure mode is absolutely considered for commercial products.

However, there is an assumption that the product will only be used as intended or specified. If someone takes it apart to "fix it" then all bets are off. If someone decides to use an adapter that doesn't connect the ground to their house, for example, or they operate it in the parking lot at Furnace Creek on a hot summer day, then the manufacturer is (essentially) not responsible for the consequences.

There is also the assumption that you will not have two independent failures of safety critical systems which were otherwise properly designed, built, and evaluated for safety.

The operative phrase here is "fail safe".

Likes russ_watters
kyphysics said:
Funnily, he also took it into the campus soccer field area and took a literal baseball bat and bashed it to pieces. Said he was worried it'd still work and some stranger could pick it out of the trash and steal all his data stored on it (maybe blackmail him or something).
Funnily? That's what I do to all of my old HDDs. Hit them a couple times with an axe. It's easy and then I don't even have to consider whether I care about what might be on it. Only the FBI or NSA could get data off of those, if they're lucky, and they would really, really, have to care about it to try.

Likes russ_watters
Two comments:
Pure water is essentially not a conductor but any salts (soda has various salts) are conducting. If I spilled soda pop on a laptop and did not wish to open it up I would remove the battery, spray it with enough clear water to displace any residual soda pop and let it dry in a suitable place for as long as I could. Be sure to watch it carefully for a few hours after subsequent powerup
I routinely use isopropanol to clean electronics.

kyphysics said:
w/r/t buying a new one - Would there be some threshold for which you WOULD buy a new one and just throw out the soaked device (even it seems to work still)?
Uh. As a matter of fact, this happened to me just a few months ago. Spilled and entire can of pop* on my lappie. I went out and bought a new one** the same day. Luckily the HD was unharmed so I was back up and running. In retrospect, I may have over-reacted - I didn't even bother trying to recover the laptop before replacing it. Rinsing it with water and leaving it to dry might have saved it.

But, I would point out that I replaced it only because of damage to the laptop, I had zero concern about damage to me. For me, the low chances of a short actually happening, multiplied by the low chances of it actually injuring me is close enough to zero for me.

In fact, I am almost certain that, independent of that incident, my lappie did have a grounding problem. I kept getting a stinging feeling in my wrist where it touched the metal seam as I typed. I was barely above the threshold of feeling, so I was never too worried. I even tried grounding myself to see if it made a diff. I wish I had tested it proper-like with a multi-meter.

* soda to you 'Muricans
** laptop, not pop - I had plenty of other pop

• Informative
Likes kyphysics
DaveE said:
Funnily? That's what I do to all of my old HDDs. Hit them a couple times with an axe. It's easy and then I don't even have to consider whether I care about what might be on it. Only the FBI or NSA could get data off of those, if they're lucky, and they would really, really, have to care about it to try.
I once put one of these through my hard drive before disposing of it.

1690730551969.png

It sends a message that says 'don't even bother'.

DaveC426913 said:
It is possible that a short could be made with the main power, which is enough to injure you, so yes.
The OP is asking about low-voltage (SELV) devices, not AC Mains Powered devices. The laptop is powered by a low-voltage power brick, which is sealed against the elements.

With SELV devices, there is very little risk of shock.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE and russ_watters
Water is not very conductive. The stuff that is in the water can make it very conductive.
Alcohol is not very conductive. The stuff that is in the alcohol can make it very conductive. Usually to a lesser degree than water.

I have seen equipment cleaned with alcohol develop a short, and was turned on before the alcohol had completely gone. Can you say "pillar of fire"? I would not recommend amateurs solve (no pun intended) the problem by squirting alcohol hither and yon.:fire:

Soda can give you sticky keys on a keyboard. One time at work, I answered the phone, an old corded version. The springy phone cord snapped, hitting my soda can and knocking the contents into my brand-new keyboard.

Hastening to clean up the mess and prevent an electronics disaster, I flipped the keyboard upside down to shake out the soda. What I hadn't considered was the umbrella effect of the key caps capturing the soda as it sprinkled out. When I flipped the keyboard back down on the desk, the soda flowed down the key strut lubricating it with sticky soda, and the ants rejoiced.

Fortunately, I was able to swap out the keyboard for another new one, and all was well with the world.

berkeman said:
The OP is asking about low-voltage (SELV) devices, not AC Mains Powered devices. The laptop is powered by a low-voltage power brick, which is sealed against the elements.

With SELV devices, there is very little risk of shock.
Yeah. There was a story a while back where a kid electrocuted himself because he wearing his headphones whole recharging them. I guess a short must have let the voltage jump the transformer.

Doubt that can happen in a power brick, even by pouring a can of sodapop on it.

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah. There was a story a while back where a kid electrocuted himself because he wearing his headphones whole recharging them. I guess a short must have let the voltage jump the transformer.
Link?

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
A wet cell phone can be as slippery as a banana!! Not to make light of concerns here but the major danger with any battery powered device has devolved to the nonzero catastrophic failure rate of Lithium cells.
Of ccourse one still should not toast bagels while standing in the Bath.
If your appliance gets slimed: all power, clean it and rinse with water (maybe isopropanol), dry it for as long as possible. Then put on eye protection and gloves and power it up.

hutchphd said:
Then put on eye protection and gloves and power it up.
...or get your assistant Beaker to power it up.
1690763927361.png

At work, I would not be allowed to do this, as I an not a QEW - qualified electrical worker. The limit is 10 J, or about 0.1% the capacity of the battery.

Likes Bystander and hutchphd
If you include bird-shat from a young blackbird that one of our cats brought into kitchen, yes.

I'm not sure how, but bird escaped from cat, whizzed around like ruddy 'foo-fighter', managed to poop onto grille on back of my favourite microwave. Dripped through onto the windings etc of shaded-pole cooling fan.

'Magic Smoke' issued...

I switched off, un-plugged, left to cool / discharge for ~5 hours. Managed to find matching 'Secure-Torx' driver for case's pair of tamper-resistant screws. The rest were 'cross=heads'.

Gently cleaned motor windings with water-damp cloth and small brush, re-assembled, left to air-dry for ~5 hours.

Ran okay...

Likes hutchphd
You need a better-trained retriever cat.....

1. Can I still use my electronic device if fluid has been spilled into it?

It is not safe to use your electronic device if fluid has been spilled into it. This can cause damage to the internal components and potentially lead to malfunctioning or permanent damage to the device.

2. What should I do if fluid has been spilled into my electronic device?

If fluid has been spilled into your electronic device, it is important to turn it off immediately and disconnect it from any power source. Remove any external accessories and try to dry the device as much as possible. Do not attempt to turn it back on until a professional has inspected it.

3. How long does it take for fluid damage to affect an electronic device?

The amount of time it takes for fluid damage to affect an electronic device can vary depending on the amount of fluid spilled and the type of device. In some cases, damage can occur immediately while in others it may take several hours or days to become noticeable.

4. Is there any way to save an electronic device that has had fluid spilled into it?

In some cases, it may be possible to save an electronic device that has had fluid spilled into it. However, this depends on the extent of the damage and how quickly the device is taken to a professional for repair. It is always best to act quickly and seek professional help as soon as possible.

5. How can I prevent fluid damage to my electronic devices?

The best way to prevent fluid damage to your electronic devices is to be cautious when using them around liquids. Keep drinks and other sources of fluid away from your devices and make sure to use them in a dry environment. Additionally, investing in a waterproof or water-resistant case can provide extra protection against accidental spills.