Register to reply

Effects of a Vacuum

by Sociopath^e
Tags: effects, vacuum
Share this thread:
Sociopath^e
Oct3-03, 04:45 PM
P: 9
What happens if a human was to be a immediately exposed to a vacuum, such as that in space? from what i understand they explode, due to the internal pressure having nothing to balance its force... but i may be wrong
who here knows the answer?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Loren Booda
Oct3-03, 05:08 PM
P: 3,408
Kinda like the bends (decompression sickness). Since the depth corresponding to 2 atmospheres pressure is approximately 10 meters below water's surface, the same effect (exploded lungs, nitrogen bubbles in the blood...) might occur to a diver immediately brought above water from there.

In the case of a vacuum, blood would find any opportunity to escape the body. I was lucky to survive.
Sociopath^e
Oct3-03, 05:26 PM
hmm, so a kinda Anti-Bends
but nothing explosive then from the lack of pressure?

Janus
Oct3-03, 05:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,361
Effects of a Vacuum

http://www.treitel.org/Richard/rass/invacuo.html

According to this you could remain conscious for about 10 sec, and survive with full recovery for about 90 sec, if exposed to vacuum.
Sociopath^e
Oct4-03, 07:10 AM
ah, well i was wondering if 2001 did it right, or Red Dwarf.... (although it is silly trying to compare physics out of fiction)
Julian Solos
Jan25-04, 09:03 PM
P: 45
Originally posted by Sociopath^e
ah, well i was wondering if 2001 did it right, or Red Dwarf.... (although it is silly trying to compare physics out of fiction)
I timed Bowman's Emergency Hatch Entrance scene in 2001 on Laserdisk about four months ago after reading an article similar to the one Janus provided a link for.

From the moment the hatch of the pod opens to the moment Bowman pushes down a lever in Discovery to close the hatch on Discovery and initiate re-pressurization, it spanned about 9 seconds. Right on the money. I was impressed.
Nereid
Jan25-04, 09:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,014
IIRC, the producers went to great lengths to get the Bowman sequence right. And Clarke would certainly have done his homework as he wrote the book.
selfAdjoint
Jan26-04, 09:09 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
It's important to remember that Clarke was trained as an engineer and some of his earlier stories turn on technical points ("Perturbation Theory" for example. It's nice to remember that that phrase and technique had a prehistory in celestial mechanics before the quantum field people got hold of it).
russ_watters
Jan26-04, 10:11 AM
Mentor
P: 22,300
If you hold your breath and experience an explosive decompression, you'd probably blow your eardrums and maybe damage your lungs, but other than that, it takes longer for the bad things like boiling blood to happen.

Remember, pressure is pretty much pressure and 1 atmosphere is 35 feet of water - and people free dive deeper than that, taking only a few seconds to get there.

Register to reply