Need advice on vacuum / suction experiment

In summary, the vacuum pump is a tool that can be used to create a very low atmospheric pressure in a small area. The application is for a laboratory experiment. The pump that the user is recommending is a syringe pump.
Blackie
TL;DR Summary
Vacuum pump help
Summary: Vacuum pump help

I need advice on what type of vacuum pump would create max negative pressure in a very small area ( a space no larger than your pinky finger I guess) ? Maybe some kinda high suction low cfm pump? I don't know enough about vacuum pumps to know which type to use for my application. And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peristaltic pump (roller pump). Cheap diaphragm pumps also works fine for low airflow, high suction pressure applications.
P.S. Never apply suction port on a body parts. Injury is guaranteed if applied.

Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Ok, I've not researched that particular pump... I'm trying to achieve an insine amount of vacuum. Kinda like if you poked a small hole in a space ship. The amount of force focused near the hole... will a roller pump achieve that kinda pressure in a small area? Alot of the roller pumps I've seen look like they are for medical applications... and more advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackie said:
insine
Is that a typo?

Also, can you say what the application is? That will help us to make the best suggestions for you. :smile:

How about a syringe?
Blackie said:
I'm trying to achieve an insine amount of vacuum.
The maximum amount of vacuum in air is 14.7psi, and it isn't difficult to get pretty close to it.

Last edited:
This little sucker (pun intended) just pulled 27 inches of mercury with my finger stopping the tubing. I think it would do better if I shortened the tubing. Trade name is MityVac. Harbor Freight has something similar: https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-63391.html.

P9110020.JPG

Likes russ_watters, Nugatory and berkeman
I used that same vacuum pump with an Edmunds Bell jar for a number of experiments. Plus, I used it to bleed my sportbike brakes for years. A great investment! :smile:

Likes jrmichler
As long as we're at harbor freight... They also sell an eductor-based 'vacuum pump' - I think they intend it for HVAC system evacuation. Feed it compressed air, and it creates a vacuum. Cheap, simple, and continuous (if you have compressed air).

1. What is the purpose of a vacuum / suction experiment?

The purpose of a vacuum / suction experiment is to study the effects of reduced pressure on a system or substance. This can help scientists understand how different materials behave under low pressure conditions and can also be used to simulate high altitude or space environments.

2. How do I create a vacuum for my experiment?

Creating a vacuum for your experiment can be done using a vacuum pump or by using a vacuum chamber. A vacuum pump removes air from a closed system, while a vacuum chamber allows you to control the pressure inside using a vacuum pump or valves.

3. What materials are needed for a vacuum / suction experiment?

The materials needed for a vacuum / suction experiment may vary depending on the specific experiment, but some common materials include a vacuum pump, a vacuum chamber, tubing, a pressure gauge, and the materials or substances you are studying.

4. How can I ensure the safety of my vacuum / suction experiment?

Safety is important when conducting any experiment, and this is especially true for vacuum / suction experiments. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and to follow all instructions and precautions provided by the equipment manufacturer. It is also important to properly vent the vacuum chamber before opening it to avoid sudden changes in pressure.

5. What are some potential applications of vacuum / suction experiments?

Vacuum / suction experiments have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. Some examples include studying the behavior of materials in space, testing the durability of products under high altitude conditions, and simulating the effects of reduced pressure on living organisms. They are also commonly used in industries such as aerospace, materials science, and vacuum technology research.