Register to reply

Math or physics tattoo?

by chroot
Tags: math, physics, tattoo
Share this thread:
Cyrus
Aug14-07, 05:05 PM
P: 4,777
Well, I mean I see people getting tattoos left and right and the only reason I can think why is because all their friends have one. But I really dont see why anyone would have the need to put something on their body like that if its not part of their custom/culture. I see very very very few people with nice tattoos. Id honestly say that 90% of them look bad- really bad.
Moridin
Aug14-07, 05:05 PM
P: 858
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
It's not math or physics, but I thought the DNA monster shown here was pretty cool...a creative twist on a boring old theme.

http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2007/08...etattoocom.php
http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2007/08...th_science.php

I like the Darwin fish and periodic table on your arm. Wonder if that would be cheating on a test?
robphy
Aug14-07, 05:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,139
Well... how about something like ... um... a light cone?
... a section of a plane electromagnetic wave [showing the E and B fields]?
... a hypercube?
moe darklight
Aug14-07, 05:07 PM
P: 411
Get Gallileo's face tattooed on your face. That is sure to spark conversations and provide excellent opportunities to educate people.

how about the ubiquitous light refraction triangle, only have the corresponding wave length written on each color, or something like that. I think that'd be pretty neat.

EDIT:
Quote Quote by robphy View Post
... a hypercube?
ah! you beat me to it!
Kurdt
Aug14-07, 05:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Quote Quote by ranger View Post
Is that yours Kurdt?

The next thing chroot would be asking is where to get a piercing
No its not mine. I would never be that nerdy.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi View Post
I see very very very few people with nice tattoos. Id honestly say that 90% of them look bad- really bad.
I totally agree. I've seen people with sharks that look like they were drawn by children. I've seen people with letters that aren't straight, etc. That's why I think I'm the sort of person who would turn down numerous designs before actually getting one put on me.

Oh, another requirement: no large areas of solid colors. I think they look bad. I would prefer something more akin to line art. I'm thinking something in the line of stylized mathematical blackboard symbols, perhaps.

- Warren
Kurdt
Aug14-07, 05:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
I think these are nice because they have real meaning to them. There not barb wire or some cheap thing on a girls lower back. I think these tattoos are nice, provided that your a samoan.
I think most tattoos mean something to the people that get them even if they mean nothing to you. Its the individuals choice to adorn their body with whatever they wish and its not just a social compliance thing.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
... a hypercube?
People would mistake a light cone for a funnel or an hourglass. The EM wave would be a little too plain, though maybe something with a sinus shape would look nice. I think I just like curved lines. I'd prefer to avoid "pictorial" tattoos, like the DNA monster or the Mandelbrot set, in favor of symbols with clean, simple lines.

- Warren
Cyrus
Aug14-07, 05:23 PM
I could see a tattoo of your frat done nice, or a family crest or something like that.

I had a friend who just graduated who had lots of tattoos, but the one I like the most was on his inner bicpet. It was the indian with a bow and arrow that used to come in a tootsie roll done in blue. I thought it was interesting and nice.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
BTW, lest I sound too pessimistic -- I do appreciate all your suggestions! I'm just picky.

- Warren
Cyrus
Aug14-07, 05:27 PM
You damn well better be, that thing ant going away!

Get some on your eye lids and fingers that say something like LIVE \DIE on each side

Oh, and get the tattooed tear on the corner of your eye too.

Also, I could understand if your an old white guy with a big santa clause beard and a harley and sunglasses.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It was the indian with a bow and arrow that used to come in a tootsie roll done in blue. I thought it was interesting and nice.
Surprisingly, I thought that would be exactly the kind of tattoo you'd hate.

- Warren
robphy
Aug14-07, 05:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,139
How about the magnetic field lines of the earth, a loop, or a bar magnet?
http://images.google.com/images?&q=magnetic+field+lines
(FYI: some cool animations at http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/802TEAL3D/teal_tour.htm )

Here's a place you can shop for curves
http://xahlee.org/SpecialPlaneCurves...aneCurves.html
(EDIT: How about a Lissajous figure?)

How about a conic section and either its reflection property or something?
Cyrus
Aug14-07, 05:31 PM
Well, it looked nice because it was thin. It was like the outline of an indian wearing a feather hat with a bow and arrow extended infront of him about to shoot. It was like the outline of a real indian, not a comic character and it was all blue and done rather thin so it did not look stupid. It wasnt bad because it was original and nice.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
How about the magnetic field lines of the earth, a loop, or a bar magnet?
Thanks for the suggestions, robphy, but I don't think I could do anything pictorial and busy like that. The tattoos I tend to like best on other people are simple line art, symbolic, with sinuous, solid, bold black lines.

- Warrren
gabee
Aug14-07, 05:44 PM
P: 179
E8.

Get ready for pain.
Cyrus
Aug14-07, 05:47 PM
Here, I drew it up over an image I found. It looks almost exactly like this:

The difference is that the front of the bow makes up the radius of the front of the circle. I couldnt get it to do that with the picture I found. So you can think of the rest of the circle extending back from the ends of the bow around the indian man.
chroot
Aug14-07, 05:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Blarg.

- Warren

Register to reply