What are some good science fair project ideas or resources?

In summary, a sophomore in high school wants to do something interesting with their science fair project, but doesn't know where to start. They are looking for resources to help them find an interesting project and are encouraged by the ISEF competitions' past projects.
Someon332
I am currently a sophomore in HS, and I have a science fair project next year. I want to do something interesting- I don't want to put in barely any effort and do something that everyone has done, like 'growing plants in different light levels'.

I would ideally like to do something with particle physics, electromagnetism (I've seen railguns online and they seem really cool), or plasma physics. But I'm not sure where to look or start- I looked on google but I don't really see accessible projects for me, either they deal with high voltages (I don't have any experience with it and don't have a death wish), or are prohibitively expensive. I only have roughly $200 and whatever I can salvage to work with.

Are there any interesting projects relating to particle physics, electromagnetism, or plasma physics that aren't extremely expensive or dangerous?

Also, general resources that may give me inspiration for projects is greatly appreciated.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The simplified results from the first detection of gravitational waves (and apparently from more recent detections, for that matter) from LIGO can be calculated by only using Newton's mechanics with a glimpse of Maxwell's. You will need some elementary calculus. Look in the Internet for certain articles from that period.

1. Biology:
    • Investigate the effects of different liquids (water, soda, juice) on tooth decay.
    • Study the behavior of ants in response to different types of food.
    • Explore the growth of plants under different types and colors of light.
  2. Chemistry:
    • Compare the effectiveness of natural vs. commercial antacids.
    • Investigate the rate of rusting in different conditions (e.g., water, saltwater, air).
    • Analyze the vitamin C content in various fruit juices.
  3. Physics:
    • Examine the effect of different materials (rubber, glass, wood) on the bouncing height of a ball.
    • Investigate the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its swing time.
    • Study the effect of temperature on the expansion of different liquids.
  4. Earth Science:
    • Create a model volcano and explore the eruption process.
    • Investigate the impact of soil types on plant growth.
    • Study the relationship between humidity and weather conditions.
  5. Astronomy:
    • Observe and record the phases of the moon over several weeks.
    • Study the effects of light pollution on stargazing and astronomical observations.
    • Investigate the relationship between the distance of planets from the sun and their temperatures.
  6. Environmental Science:
    • Analyze the water quality in a local pond or stream.
    • Investigate the impact of different pollutants on the growth of algae.
    • Study the effectiveness of various natural pesticides on garden pests.
  7. Psychology/Social Sciences:
    • Conduct a study on the effects of different music genres on concentration.
    • Explore the relationship between screen time and sleep patterns.
    • Investigate the impact of peer pressure on decision-making.
  8. Engineering/Technology:
    • Build a simple robot and program it to perform a specific task.
    • Investigate the efficiency of different types of insulation materials.
    • Study the aerodynamics of paper airplanes and design one for optimal flight.
  9. Health Sciences:
    • Explore the relationship between exercise and heart rate.
    • Investigate the effects of various types of food on blood sugar levels.
    • Analyze the effectiveness of different hand sanitizers in reducing microbial growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something with magnetic breaks?
Or making your own wave powerplant with electromagnetic induction

Last edited:
OP: Unless you want something super exotic, for E&M, you can do RF propagation studies. You probably have the basic gear already (e.g., cellphone and WiFi).

Wow, thanks for all the resources and things to check out! I'm definitely going to go over all of these.

Likes berkeman

1. What are some good sources for science fair project ideas?

Some good sources for science fair project ideas include science websites, science magazines, science books, and science fairs from previous years. You can also ask your science teacher or a science mentor for suggestions.

2. How can I come up with a unique science fair project idea?

One way to come up with a unique science fair project idea is to think about your own interests and hobbies. You can also look for inspiration in everyday life or current events. Another option is to combine different scientific concepts or methods to create a new and innovative project.

3. Are there any websites that provide step-by-step instructions for science fair projects?

Yes, there are many websites that provide step-by-step instructions for science fair projects. Some examples include Science Buddies, Science Fair Central, and Science Fair Adventure. These websites also offer project ideas and resources for various scientific fields.

4. How can I make sure my science fair project is safe and ethical?

To ensure your science fair project is safe and ethical, always follow the guidelines and regulations set by your school or science fair. You should also consult with a teacher or mentor to review your project and make any necessary adjustments. It is important to prioritize the safety and well-being of yourself and others.

5. Can I use online resources or experiments for my science fair project?

Yes, you can use online resources or experiments for your science fair project. However, it is important to properly cite your sources and give credit to the original creators. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly understand and follow the instructions for any online experiments to ensure accurate and reliable results.