Math/Physics Tattoo Idea Request - Warren

In summary: Welcome to Science Tattoo, a website where you can find a variety of tattoos related to science and mathematics. Some of the tattoos featured on the website include the DNA monster, the Möbius strip, and the Euler equation.
Blarg.

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
chroot said:
Blarg.

- Warren
Blarg? Where did I just recently read someone using that expression...

cyrusabdollahi said:
You damn well better be, that thing ant going away!

Actually they have a new ink now that can be erased with just one laser treatment. Pretty interesting technology -- I caught a piece about it on the national TV news a couple nights ago.

chroot -- I agree that a fractal theme could be a good approach. Especially if it were one that had some extra scientific meanings. Like how a coastline is often fractal in shape, or how fractal antennas can be used for some unique applications. I know that the infinite resolution thing is a problem, but in a 3"x3" tattoo, you could still probably get a reasonable number of levels of recursion.

What kind of fractals do you like the best? Check out the blue fractal rose!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=fractals&gbv=2

Good lord. I don't want anything pictorial. I've said it at least five times now! :rofl:

- Warren

chroot said:
Good lord. I don't want anything pictorial. I've said it at least five times now! :rofl:

- Warren

You didn't like the rose?! :eek:

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl: Well, I mean I see people getting tattoos left and right and the only reason I can think why is because all their friends have one.
Yes, many get it for those reasons. The ever-appearing flowers and birds stretched across women's lower backs, for example. Purely decorative and not meaningful.
But I really don't see why anyone would have the need to put something on their body like that if its not part of their custom/culture.
And how common does it have to be to be considered part of their custom/culture? It seems that's very much the case right now, that it has become part of American youth culture to have tattoos.

I see very very very few people with nice tattoos. Id honestly say that 90% of them look bad- really bad.
The only thing that matters is that they like them (and you never know...it's possible they think they look really bad too after getting them while drunk one night at some cheap tattoo parlor across from the bar). Though, I share the opinion that if you're going to permanently affix a marking onto your body, you better really be sure it's something meaningful or good-looking enough that you'll still like it and not regret it 20, 30, 40 or 50 years down the road. I think you also have to consider how body shapes change with age, and choose carefully. That cute rose on a young woman's breast is not going to be cute when she has breastfed 2 children and is in her 50s, and it's more of a pink blur. Placement of the tattoo is just as important as what the tattoo is. If you're not totally sure, don't do it.

If you do find something you really think is the most clever, meaningful idea ever, and after giving it some time contemplating it, you still think it's a good idea, are there people who will make custom, temporary tattoos? Something so you can "try it on for size" before committing to it...see how people react, if you enjoy the reactions, or get tired of explaining after a week, or thought you liked the idea, but realize it's too big, or the wrong place, or too detailed, or not enough detail, etc.

My friend I play cards with is an ex-marine sniper who went to Iraq and Afghanistan. He got drunk with his buddies and got a bulldog tattoo that looks horrible and he hates it. :rofl:

I don't think tattoos are a culture as much as its just a fad going on right now.

Ive seen a woman with a tattoo on her breast - its disgusting. Talk about trailer trash looking.

Last edited:
Here is a useful one http://screwdecaf.cx/forearm-ruler.html or perhaps;
A map of our position in the Virgo Supercluster would be useful if you ever got REALLY lost. Or you DNA sequence in case you need really advanced hospital treatment.
Remember tattoos are permanent so pi probably isn't a good idea, suppose it changes - then you would really look stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this could be made into a cool tattoo:

E=½mv2
or
Ek=½mv2

mgb_phys said:
Here is a useful one http://screwdecaf.cx/forearm-ruler.html or perhaps;
A map of our position in the Virgo Supercluster would be useful if you ever got REALLY lost. Or you DNA sequence in case you need really advanced hospital treatment.
Remember tattoos are permanent so pi probably isn't a good idea, suppose it changes - then you would really look stupid.

Thats one UGLYYYYYYYY tattoo.

E=mc^2

Everyone has seen that one, but its geeky and cliche.

that reminds me zooby of:

E=XTc

contemporary and physicsy.

I really need to come up with a serious contender. I am thinking honest.

I was wondering. Do you really need an artist? Couldn't you design something yourself; create a computer file suitable for a numeric controlled tatoo machine?

A lot of people design their own tattoos yes. Unfortunately the tattoo robot hasn't been invented yet.

Kurdt said:
A lot of people design their own tattoos yes. Unfortunately the tattoo robot hasn't been invented yet.

Kurt, the tattoo-robot
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/006910.php
tattoo21.jpg

http://renfah.sonance.net/underror/KURT/KURT.PDF

dlgoff said:
I was wondering. Do you really need an artist? Couldn't you design something yourself; create a computer file suitable for a numeric controlled tatoo machine?
I don't know about the tattoo robot, but he certainly could photoshop a design to be applied by a tattoo artist.

dlgoff said:

There is a great cartoon (in German) of a tattoo machine writing
"error dragon.jpeg not found" across someones back!
I can't find it on google - don't try searching for "file not found"

I forgot I invented the tattoo robot :blushing:

EDIT: Damn the advert on that page is for my university as well. I don't believe it.

robphy said:
This might be cool:
http://www.neatorama.com/2006/04/23/chameleon-blacklight-tattoo/
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2006-04/glow-in-the-dark-tattoo.jpg

I don't like this work, but I like the concept. Instead of bones like this, I would make it the entire inside of the arm. Veins, muscles, etc. Make it look as if you're really seeing inside your own arm. That would be a really neat effect. (But very drastic).

chroot, if you're looking for something small and simple that could be mistaken for a design rather than obviously being an equation or something like that, maybe you should consider any of the various symbols for physical constants. Like hbar or epsilon naught or something.

Honestly if I were ever to get a math tattoo I would never get one containing any symbols, numbers, etc. at all. I would just choose one that had a high degree of symmetry that also had a cool design. There is plenty of math behind highly symmetrical objects.

robphy said:
This might be cool:
http://www.neatorama.com/2006/04/23/chameleon-blacklight-tattoo/
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2006-04/glow-in-the-dark-tattoo.jpg

My boss' daughter has one of those glow-in-the-dark tattoos on her forehead of all places. :rolleyes: The only good thing about it is that you won't see it except under black light. :uhh:

Well, you being a computer-geek-type person, how about 1+1 = 1? :biggrin:

mgb_phys said:
Not exactly subtle, but better than the usual junk tattoo'ed on womens backs

:rofl::rofl::rofl:You're killing me

According to a blog by one of the models, the title is
"16 things you understand and 4 you don't"

They are (left-right) equations for GR, E&M, Mechanics, and Quantum mechanics.

Can you link the blog? I'm assuming it was just a collusion of tequila and magic marker making for an unsual evening.

So far, I'm pretty dismayed at my physics tatto choices. :uhh: Maybe I should just pierce my face in twelve places instead.

- Warren

chroot said:
So far, I'm pretty dismayed at my physics tatto choices. :uhh: Maybe I should just pierce my face in twelve places instead.

:rofl: If you do, remind me not to ever stand behind you in line at the airport metal detectors. :biggrin:

Would there be any cool looking rotational motion equations you could insert into a bicycle wheel, or some other way tie into your other interests? That would make it more than just a dorky equation, but a segue into your other interests, which might be more fruitful to discuss with random members of the public who ask about the tattoo.

Moonbear said:
Would there be any cool looking rotational motion equations you could insert into a bicycle wheel, or some other way tie into your other interests?

Interesting idea, but mucking about with a bicycle wheel and then going 40 mph on it is almost a form of suicide.

That would make it more than just a dorky equation, but a segue into your other interests, which might be more fruitful to discuss with random members of the public who ask about the tattoo.

Well, I was hoping I'd find some clever, clean, attractive design that is, quite literally, incomprehensible to laypeople, and not even identifiable as a bit of physics geekery. I want it to appear more like a curious line-art design, yet have a deeper meaning that I'd enjoy explaining when people asked.

Of course, I have a long history of attracting the wrong kind of attention: I bought a sports car thinking it might get some looks from women, but instead it only attracts high-school boys. Maybe I should just stop while I'm ahead.

- Warren

chroot said:
Interesting idea, but mucking about with a bicycle wheel and then going 40 mph on it is almost a form of suicide.
<<<<groan>>>> I see you've been taking joke writing lessons from Ivan. :rolleyes:

Of course, I have a long history of attracting the wrong kind of attention: I bought a sports car thinking it might get some looks from women, but instead it only attracts high-school boys. Maybe I should just stop while I'm ahead.

:rofl: Oh, you're probably getting some looks from women, but they're probably more of the "I'm sorry you feel you need to compensate for something with a sports car" looks. :tongue: Sure, there are some women who would be all over a sports car, but for the most part, it's men who are into sports cars, not women. You'll get many more women noticing you while you're bent over on the bike in those spandex shorts, you just don't know it because they're all behind you. :wink: :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Oh, you're probably getting some looks from women, but they're probably more of the "I'm sorry you feel you need to compensate for something with a sports car" looks. :tongue:

Oh no, I usually ride with the convertible top down and with no pants, just to make sure they don't misjudge me.

And actually, I know of a number of women who have developed a sort of spandex fetish after watching the Tour de France. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/worlds04/u23rr/7715-Poland.jpg

- Warren

Moonbear said:
I see you've been taking joke writing lessons from Ivan. :rolleyes:

And that wasn't even a joke! I guess that means Ivan's jokes aren't even distinguishable from statements that aren't intended to be funny? :rofl:

- Warren

chroot said:
And actually, I know of a number of women who have developed a sort of spandex fetish after watching the Tour de France. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/worlds04/u23rr/7715-Poland.jpg

- Warren

:bugeye: Indeed, spandex doesn't hide much. :blushing: