Academic and Research Programs in Science, Math and Engineering

by Gokul43201
Tags: academic, engineering, math, programs, research, science
Ki Man
Jun2-07, 09:35 PM
P: 555
Quote Quote by momentum_waves View Post
^ A rich parent?
dont worry, that only takes out about 24 of the top 25. Berkeley will take you in though.
Ki Man
Sep13-07, 09:36 PM
P: 555
Is there anyway to do research while still in high school?
InbredDummy
Sep13-07, 11:28 PM
P: 85
Quote Quote by Ki Man View Post
Is there anyway to do research while still in high school?
Possibly, yes. Think about all those kids who place in the Intel Science Fair. This years winner (or the most recent Intel's winner) did research in string topology under a university professor. So yes it is definitely possible.

Some suggestions:
1) Try looking for a research professor at a university WITHOUT a graduate program. If you live by Berkeley, do you really think those professors will take time away from GRAD students for you? Instead, no shame in going to a smaller university or a well known undergrad research university, email the head of the math or physics department with your situation.
2) Maybe ask your high school teachers if they have any connections to uni professors as well.

It's probably not the easiest thing in the world, it's difficult for some college students to get some research under their belt, but it is definitely worth a try. Be persistent and put as many feeler emails/phone calls out as possible.
InbredDummy
Sep13-07, 11:30 PM
P: 85
I can't believe the NRC rankings come out in December 2007, precisely when all my grad applications are due for PhD admissions!
jesuslovesu
Nov29-07, 12:41 PM
P: 202
Are there any REU programs that don't require letters of recommendation? I don't feel comfortable asking any of my professors for them, but I would really like to participate in an REU.
Quincy
Mar1-08, 03:45 PM
P: 225
Is Penn State - University Park a good school for Engineering/Physical Sciences?
carstensentyl
Mar22-08, 11:44 PM
P: 34
1 Harvard 4.91
2 Princeton 4.89
3 MIT 4.87
4 Cal Berkeley 4.87
5 Cal Tech 4.81
6 Cornell 4.75
7 Chicago 4.69
8 Illinois 4.66
9 Stanford 4.53
10 Cal Santa Barbara 4.43
11 Texas 4.33
12 Columbia 4.25
13 Yale 4.21
14 Washington 4.20
15 UCLA 4.18
16 Cal San Diego 4.10
17 Penn 4.09
18 Maryland 4.02
19 Michigan 3.96
20 Rutgers 3.82
21 Wisconsin 3.79
22 SUNY Stony Brook 3.76
23 Minnesota 3.76
24 Ohio State 3.75
25 Rochester 3.65
Actually, these are the cutoff GPAs to apply to grad school at these universities.
Quincy
Mar23-08, 11:52 AM
P: 225
Anyone one have a list of the best UNDERgraduate engineering schools? Or is it pretty much the same as the grad list?
carstensentyl
Mar23-08, 04:11 PM
P: 34
Quote Quote by Quincy View Post
Anyone one have a list of the best UNDERgraduate engineering schools? Or is it pretty much the same as the grad list?
USNews does publish that information. However, it is based on retention rates, student resources, etc. The most prestigious programs are a subjective matter.
Johannes
Jun3-08, 03:15 AM
P: 25
when talking about the cutoff GPAs... does that mean they won't even look at any applicant who's worse than that ?
uman
Jul3-08, 04:41 PM
P: 352
Does "Washington" in the rankings mean Washington University or University of Washington?
Gokul43201
Jul3-08, 05:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Quote Quote by Johannes View Post
when talking about the cutoff GPAs... does that mean they won't even look at any applicant who's worse than that ?
carsten was kidding. Those numbers are not "cutoff GPAs".

Quote Quote by uman View Post
Does "Washington" in the rankings mean Washington University or University of Washington?
U Wash - Seattle
coccoinomane
Sep5-08, 01:45 PM
P: 19
Hello everybody!

I was wondering if something like NRC Rankings exist also for European Grad Programs. In particular, I would really like to find a ranking (or merely a list) of the best Astronomy-Cosmology Grad Programs in UK-France-Spain-Italy-Portugal.

By the way, I suggest http://graduate-school.phds.org for the rankings of Grad Programs in the US. It is very powerful and customizable by a lot of parameters (e.g. number of grants, tuition fee, number of scientific papers...).
Using my parameters for Astronomy, I got this ranking: http://graduate-school.phds.org/rank...=5&w32=0&w12=0 .

Thank you!

Cheers,

Guido
Woozya
Sep20-08, 03:04 AM
P: 11
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
High Energy and Particle Physics programs around the world (courtesy Cern)
http://graybook.cern.ch/institutes/
Thank you for the links

I found the programs in my country, Uzbekistan

It's really funny :D
DH
Mar10-09, 08:38 PM
P: 22
Hey guys,
I got Physics PhD offers from Purdue University, Stony Brook University, and Georgia Tech. Which one should I go for?
Thanks
thrill3rnit3
Apr20-09, 06:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 712
Is this of any indication of their respective undergrad programs??
Astronuc
Apr25-09, 01:50 PM
Admin
P: 21,628
MIT offers some options on Engineering and Technology

Engineering Systems - http://esd.mit.edu/academic.html
MITís Engineering Systems Division (ESD) represents a bold educational initiative aimed at establishing Engineering Systems as a field of study and advancing theory, policy and practice in this domain. Within MIT, ESD is an interdisciplinary academic unit that spans most departments within the School of Engineering, as well as MIT's School of Science, School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, and MIT Sloan School of Management.

ESD brings together faculty and students with engineering and management professionals interested in researching large-scale, complex engineering systems. The division focuses on complex, technology-based products (i.e., automobiles, airplanes, etc.) and systems (i.e., transportation, telecommunications, energy, etc.) While technology is a fundamental part of these systems, so too are issues of managerial and, more generally, societal interactions.

Over 50 faculty and researchers, most holding dual or joint appointments within ESD and one of the aforementioned units, are devoted to teaching and research in the emerging field of Engineering Systems. Approximately 300 students are enrolled in ESD's five Master's programs, plus about 60 students in our Ph.D. program. All are working together to understand, model, and predict the behavior of technologically-enabled complex systems in order to help the engineering profession address contemporary critical issues and better serve humankind.
http://esd.mit.edu/people/faculty.html

http://web.mit.edu/catalogue/degre.e...ngin.shtml#fac
Johannes
Aug28-09, 05:16 PM
P: 25
does anyone have any experience with compley systems? what universities offer good programs for that. the wiki article is still quite short, well, it's also more of an emerging field.

Register to reply