Exploring Non-Academic Research Jobs for Applied Math and Engineering Graduates

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a job in government or industry that involves applied math and physics, but does not involve hands-on work or a boss. However, the experts in the conversation point out that this type of job does not exist and that most careers in these fields involve a significant amount of programming and computer work. The conversation also mentions the use of computers in theory and mathematical modeling, making it necessary for those pursuing these careers to have strong programming skills.
cypherscouter
do these exist outside of industry (in say, government, etc where you don't have to work for a boss) if you get a MS or phD in applied math or engineering? the only ones i can think of off the top of my head would be in the national labs like los alamos, oak ridge, etc

how much do these jobs pay? how competitive are they to get? in these jobs, do you get to use a lot of what you learned in school unlike if you were to work for an engineering company? you don't have to deal with office politics and a rude boss, etc, am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think you don't have a boss in industry or a national lab?

also, what are some good careers out there if i like mathematical modeling, applied math (DEs, PDEs, linear algebra, probability,etc) and physics, but want to work on something more applied and less theoretical and i don't want to use too much computer science (i've only taken 1 programming class, c++, and didnt like it). i also HATE hands on work and working on experiments

i also want to find a job in industry or governmental lab.

i've thought about computational fluid dynamics or working on modeling of aircraft and missiles for a defense contractor

working on aircraft and missiles sounds like fun

Cypherscouter, you will have a very tough time of it. You are asking for a job that doesn't involve computers, doesn't involve hands on work, and doesn't have a boss.

I'm fairly sure there are no such jobs.

I echo Vanadium's puzzlement on where you got the idea that one has no "boss" when working in a Nat'l lab. The person who HIRED you will be your boss, and he has a boss himself, and his boss has a boss, and his boss's boss also has a boss... leading all the way to the Secretary of the Dept. of Energy.

Zz.

cypherscouter said:
also, what are some good careers out there if i like mathematical modeling, applied math (DEs, PDEs, linear algebra, probability,etc) and physics, but want to work on something more applied and less theoretical and i don't want to use too much computer science (i've only taken 1 programming class, c++, and didnt like it). i also HATE hands on work and working on experiments

i've thought about computational fluid dynamics or working on modeling of aircraft and missiles for a defense contractor

Who in their right mind is going to hire someone to design missles and aircraft, when that person states they don't like computers, don't like 'hands on work', and don't want to perform experiments? You sound like someone who feels it is their right to sit around all day, doing nothing of consequence, and get paid for it.

Research often involves plenty of hands on work, but most definitely using computers and lots of experiments. Slide rules went out of date a long time ago.

ZapperZ said:
I echo Vanadium's puzzlement on where you got the idea that one has no "boss" when working in a Nat'l lab. The person who HIRED you will be your boss, and he has a boss himself, and his boss has a boss, and his boss's boss also has a boss... leading all the way to the Secretary of the Dept. of Energy.

Zz.

Hell, even the Secretary of Energy's boss is President Obama.

cypherscouter said:

Computational Fluid Dynamics and modeling are both pretty much full-time programming. In fact, they're pretty much the two areas of physics and engineering which use the most programming.

cypherscouter said:

You should research what type of work is actually involved in the fields you mention.

If you don't want to do hands on work, then your stuck with modeling and theory, which involve ALOT of programming, especially in the fields you mention.

well i guess programming and computers are ok, i heavily prefer it over experimental and hands on work.

what about statisticans for companies? do they get to use lots of math and not use computers as much as those in applied math research?

i'm willing to for a boss

No, statisticians are also full-time programmers

What you would want is fundamental theory or pure math, both of which have very, very little work in industry.

ok, i'd be willing to do programming

I want to play professional basketball, but I don't want to play for a coach. Also, I hate dribbling. Can anybody help me?

Computers have become a major tool used in theory and mathematical modeling. If you want to work in any quantitative discipline, chances are you are going to be using a computer. It's just part of the job.

misterme09 said:
Hell, even the Secretary of Energy's boss is President Obama.

Obama's bosses (in theory) are the people, so technically you're your own boss in a round about sense!

uman said:
I want to play professional basketball, but I don't want to play for a coach. Also, I hate dribbling. Can anybody help me?

I think that this quote was overlooked completely. Love it uman.

I'm a mathematician and I use a computer more than I use my brain.

1. What types of nonacademic research jobs are available?

There are a wide variety of nonacademic research jobs available, ranging from positions in government agencies and non-profit organizations to private companies and research institutes. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, research associate, and research coordinator.

2. What skills and qualifications are necessary for nonacademic research jobs?

The specific skills and qualifications required for nonacademic research jobs vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, some general skills that are typically necessary for these roles include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Many employers also require a relevant degree in a field such as biology, chemistry, or psychology.

3. What is the salary range for nonacademic research jobs?

The salary range for nonacademic research jobs can vary greatly depending on factors such as the specific job title, industry, and location. According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for research scientists in 2020 was $82,220, while the median salary for data analysts was $62,950.

4. What are the career advancement opportunities for nonacademic research jobs?

Career advancement opportunities in nonacademic research jobs can vary, but many positions offer opportunities for growth and promotion within the organization. Additionally, gaining experience and developing specialized skills can open up opportunities for higher positions and higher salaries in the future.

5. What is the job outlook for nonacademic research jobs?

The job outlook for nonacademic research jobs is generally positive, with growth expected in many industries that require research and data analysis. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of research scientists is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.