Register to reply

Frequency of light?

by dmitrip
Tags: frequency, light
Share this thread:
dmitrip
Jan12-08, 03:12 PM
P: 7
hello everybody, first of all i would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions:)

I am currently learning about the foundations of Quantum physics and this statement keeps on coming up and I cannot understand it. What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency and can you please give me a simple of example of how you can change the frequency of light?

thanks again
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
ZapperZ
Jan12-08, 03:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by dmitrip View Post
hello everybody, first of all i would like to thank you in advance for answering my questions:)

I am currently learning about the foundations of Quantum physics and this statement keeps on coming up and I cannot understand it. What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency and can you please give me a simple of example of how you can change the frequency of light?
A rather strange question.

First of all, you should have done classical E&M before this. So haven't you solved for the EM wave using Maxwell equation and got the wave equation? The "frequency" should be rather apparent there. So I'm highly puzzled on why you don't understand how light can have a frequency.

How to change light's frequency? Move the source away or towards you, or you move towards or way from the source (doppler effect). Of have the photon collide with a particle (Compton effect), etc... etc.

I have a feeling, though, that there's some underlying problems with this question.

Zz.
olgranpappy
Jan12-08, 08:28 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,273
Quote Quote by dmitrip View Post
What is the frequency of light??
at a fixed point in space the electric/magnetic field associated with the light changes in time. The time for the field's amplitude to go from zero up to it's maximum value and back down to zero is half the "period" T. The frequency is one over the period. this is all just like regular waves you probably have studied before.

Different colors of light have different frequencies. etc.

Mentz114
Jan12-08, 10:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,087
Frequency of light?

What is the frequency of light?? I don't understand how light can have a frequency..
Light is a wave, waves have frequency and wavelength. The frequency and wavelength correspond physically to the colour we see.
sas3
Jan13-08, 12:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 201
Google "electromagnetic spectrum" and that should help you answer some of your questions.

Register to reply