How to measure the two-photon detuning in 3-level system?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3-level system and how to measure the two-photon detuning in this system. The researchers mentioned measure the beat frequency of probing light and controlling light or use an interferometer to measure the frequency of probing light. It is mentioned that the interesting physics will happen for detunings ranging from on resonance to a few tens of ##\Gamma##. The methods used to measure the two-photon detuning depend on the frequencies involved and can vary depending on the details and underlying physics of the system.
hongqiaozhang
TL;DR Summary
how to measure the two-photon detuning in 3-level system
hi,everyone!
if i have a 3-level system,like this:
1681138641894.png

now,i want know how to measure the two-photon detuning in this system,and i‘ve known that,Δ2 and Δ3 are the two- and on-photon detunings,like this paper said:
1681138811163.png

my questions are below:
1.how other researchers measure these two parameters?
they measure the beat frequency of probing light and controling light? or they use an interferometer to measure the frequency of probing light?
2.can anyone give me some examples for these parameter,like What is the approximate magnitude of two-photon detuning,if you have any paper or publication about that,please let me know,i would be so grateful to receive your guidance!

Have a nice day,everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am theoretician, so I can't answer the first one. Maybe @f95toli or @Twigg can help.

For the second question, it will depend on the situation considered, but I would say that interesting physics will happen for anything from on resonance to a detuning of a few tens of ##\Gamma## (the line width of level ##\ket{2}##).

Likes vanhees71
My guess is that the question is about optical transitions which is not my area of expertise.
Generally speaking, answers to "how do you measure" questions are really dependent on the details Clearly, the methods used will depend on the frequencies involved; for something like a 3-level system the underlying physics is not very different if you are working in the microwave regime (say SC qubits or Rydberg atoms) or in optics (or a mix of both, you can have 3-level systems with both optical and MW transitions) but experimentally it obviously makes a lot of difference...

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a two-photon detuning in a 3-level system?

A two-photon detuning in a 3-level system refers to the difference in energy between the two photons involved in a two-photon transition between two energy levels in the system. This detuning is an important factor in understanding the dynamics and behavior of the system.

2. How is the two-photon detuning measured?

The two-photon detuning can be measured by using a technique called two-photon spectroscopy. This involves shining two laser beams of different frequencies on the system and measuring the absorption or emission of light at different detunings. The difference in the observed signal at different detunings gives the two-photon detuning.

3. What are the factors that affect the accuracy of two-photon detuning measurements?

The accuracy of two-photon detuning measurements can be affected by various factors such as the stability and precision of the laser sources, the sensitivity of the detector, and the presence of any external noise or interference. It is important to carefully control and calibrate these factors to obtain accurate measurements.

4. Can the two-photon detuning be changed or controlled in a 3-level system?

Yes, the two-photon detuning can be changed or controlled in a 3-level system by adjusting the frequencies of the two laser beams used in the measurement. This can be achieved by using techniques such as electro-optic modulation or acousto-optic modulation to change the frequency of the laser beams.

5. How can the two-photon detuning be used in practical applications?

The two-photon detuning can be used in various practical applications such as quantum computing, quantum communication, and precision spectroscopy. It is also a crucial parameter in understanding and manipulating the behavior of atoms and molecules in quantum systems, which has potential applications in fields such as quantum sensing and metrology.