Register to reply

Are we alone in this Universe?

by Aftermarth
Tags: universe
Share this thread:
Gilbe
Feb13-08, 05:28 PM
P: 6
Oh, I have never heard of the Drake Equation. I was just rambling on how I felt.

Well I have also never heard it explicitly stated as well. We go from a time in history where no consciousness exists to a time where it does. I merely used evolution to fill in the gap. Evolution is directly related to 'random' gene mutations. I can only speculate that a mutation occurred in the brain of some early primate long ago and continued to adapt into the prefrontal cortex we have today. I think the brain itself came about through some gene mutation as well. Of course this is mere speculation. I have no clue how consciousness actually came about.

But if they in fact did exists beyond our scope, doesn't that still address the original issue? Are we alone in the Universe?

Sorry I am new here so I don't really know how to quote people and stuff yet.
D H
Feb13-08, 06:19 PM
Mentor
P: 15,173
Whether we are alone is one thing. The universe is big; very, very big, afterall. Whether we are effectively alone is quite a different thing. If intelligent life does exist in a galaxy far, far away (sorry about the mixed "literary" references; can't resist), how are we to know? What difference could it possibly make if such a species does exist?

If our current thoughts on the speed of light being inviolate are correct, we are effectively alone if the nearest intelligent species is much more than 100 light years away. 100 light years is the effective range of SETI, and that is pushing it. Extending the SETI range doesn't help much. Does it really matter if there is intelligent life beyond 100 light years? Many generations will have passed on Earth from the initial "Hello, I'm from Earth! How are you?" to the first response. We won't be able to hold a conversation with these remote aliens, let alone visit them.
DaveC426913
Feb13-08, 07:28 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by D H View Post
light years? Many generations will have passed on Earth from the initial "Hello, I'm from Earth! How are you?" to the first response. We won't be able to hold a conversation with these remote aliens, let alone visit them.
Well, you don't have to have conversations to communicate effectively. It's only been a few decades that we've been able to do that at a distance.

Long letters have their merits too. Like in Sagan's 'Contact'.
Gilbe
Feb13-08, 08:47 PM
P: 6
Even if we aren't able to communicate with these beings, knowledge of their existence would still matter to some degree. Just look at the intentions of the OP.

Quote Quote by Aftermarth View Post
I'm not a very religious person myself. I find religions a bit hard to take in what they preach, and the ideals that they contain. But that is not the matter here. All religions (correct me if i am wrong, but to my understanding all religions) offer the explaination that we are special. One of a kind. Possibly the only intelligent life capable of achieving great things.

But how can this be possible? I do not see how in this vast extensive universe that we could be the only beings capable of questioning and investigating our surroundings, the only beings able to think at a deeper level than the animals around us (no offence!)

Register to reply