Apr4-08, 09:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
tutorial (n)

Synonyms: class, lesson, seminar, lecture, discussion group
http://encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_/tutorial.html

Not helpful. The other thesauruses...thesauri...thesaur drat...I tried didn't have any entries or only had the adjective form.
Hootenanny
Apr5-08, 05:17 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,789
Okay, to sumarise the suggestions we have thus far:
  1. Mathematics & Science Resources
  2. Mathematics & Science Guides
  3. Mathematics & Science Lessons
  4. Mathematics & Science Library

Out of the four I prefer resources or library (not sure whether Astro was joking though ). After playing about with the thesaurus for a while I've come up with a few more suggestions,
  • Mathematics & Science Learning Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Articles

Anyone else have any other ideas? All comments welcome
Schrodinger's Dog
Apr5-08, 05:26 AM
P: 1,142
To be honest they all look pretty good, but since it's hard to decide between them not knowing how and what and why the way people interpret things, I think it would be a stirling idea (as mentioned by Moonbear) To put it to the vote, to see what the vox populai is, and then go from there. Obviously the final decision is in the hands of GB and the mentors, but I can't see any harm in asking...

I like number 1 personally but I could go for any of them. With a sticky saying:

Do not post homework questions here you marshmellow!

Or something simillar p'raps?
Hootenanny
Apr5-08, 05:36 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
if we come up with a short list, we could always put it up for a member vote if we can't decide any other way
Quote Quote by Schrodinger's Dog View Post
To be honest they all look pretty good, but since it's hard to decide between them not knowing how and what and why the way people interpret things, I think it would be a stirling idea (as mentioned by Moonbear) To put it to the vote, to see what the vox populai is, and then go from there. Obviously the final decision is in the hands of GB and the mentors, but I can't see any harm in asking...
I agree that a vote is a good idea, perhaps as you say not to make the final decision, but it would help gauge the opinion of the general PF readership.
Astronuc
Apr5-08, 08:28 AM
Admin
P: 21,625
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
Okay, to sumarise the suggestions we have thus far:
  1. Mathematics & Science Resources
  2. Mathematics & Science Guides
  3. Mathematics & Science Lessons
  4. Mathematics & Science Library

Out of the four I prefer resources or library (not sure whether Astro was joking though ). After playing about with the thesaurus for a while I've come up with a few more suggestions,
  • Mathematics & Science Learning Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Articles

Anyone else have any other ideas? All comments welcome
Learning Resources?

I think Learning Materials seems to reflect the intent. The bottom line is that it contains texts or links to sites that have lectures or notes on a variety of math and science topics. The objective is to discourage HW postings, since we have HW and discussion forums for the purpose of HW and discussion.
Gokul43201
Apr5-08, 09:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Educational Resources?

Lectures in Science?
Moonbear
Apr5-08, 01:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I like the learning materials version. That seems to describe the content well without ambiguity...I think.
Hootenanny
Apr6-08, 11:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I've just logged on now and seen that it's been changed. Thanks Greg
Kurdt
Apr6-08, 12:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
Looks good. Lets hope it works
Astronuc
Apr6-08, 12:25 PM
Admin
Cool! Thanks Greg.

And thanks, Hoot, for your efforts.
Hootenanny
Apr7-08, 07:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
And thanks, Hoot, for your efforts.
No problem, like Kurdt says, let's hope it works! It would be nice to get some feedback (after a suitable period of time) from the mentors on whether the name change has had any effect.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 05:48 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It would be nice to get some feedback (after a suitable period of time) from the mentors on whether the name change has had any effect.
So it's coming up to a week after the forum has been renamed, have the mentors noticed a change in the number of inappropriate posts there, or has it all been a waste of time?
Kurdt
Apr12-08, 05:53 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
So it's coming up to a week after the forum has been renamed, have the mentors noticed a change in the number of inappropriate posts there, or has it all been a waste of time?
Haha, talk about timing. I just reported one. I reported one other which is a decrease for me, but like you say it will be best if the mentors give their feedback.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 06:03 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Haha, talk about timing. I just reported one. I reported one other which is a decrease for me, but like you say it will be best if the mentors give their feedback.
Yeah, great timing . That post really irritates me because they aren't even a new member, they've been here for nearly three years!
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 07:22 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Yeah - I moved it.

Well - it's a bit like experimental or theoretical physics - we try something, and see if it works. If it works - great! If not - we try something else.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 07:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Well - it's a bit like experimental or theoretical physics - we try something, and see if it works. If it works - great! If not - we try something else.
I'll take that as a no then . Oh well, back to the chalk board
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 08:01 AM
Admin
I like what Neil Turok said in his TEDtalk - "That's progress - when we prove things wrong". We're making progress!

Well sometimes things don't go according to plan - but if one waits long enough - maybe they do.

Actually it's not that bad. The postings in M & S Learning Materials come and go.
Evo
Apr12-08, 10:28 AM
Mentor
P: 25,912
The problem is that only the main forum listing was changed, all of the subforums still say "tutorials", isn't that what is causing the confusion? If we change all of the tutorial subforum titles that might do the trick.

Register to reply